I don’t remember a whole lot about kindergarten but I do remember taking naps and playing a lot. I am almost certain we were not doing math so it caught me by surprise to see Mattie doing math in kindergarten. WOW, if that wasn’t an eye opener. I even remember thinking how important it was going to be to keep up with her math skills during the summer! So I thought I would share a few awesome ways you can keep kindergarten math skills sharp during the summer months.
- Counting – This is always fun, my kids have always enjoyed counting 100 of something (noodles, popcorn, beads, etc.), drawing a picture representing 100, and gluing on all 100 items.
- Number recognition flash cards – Flash cards are not only a great for number recognition, they are super fun for both you and your child.
- Candy math – Who said addition and subtraction can’t be fun and sweet! Use candy to practice adding and subtracting with your children. Of course, when they get it right they should get a piece of candy.
- Lego patterns – My youngest daughter LOVES building things, Legos have always been a huge part of her life. They have taught many different things, but the first was about patterns. It’s something she learned on her own that I picked up on and decided to take a step further. She would use white then blue Legos to build her building, and I would ask her to toss a red one into the mix. She picked up on it rather quickly, even now and then I would have to ask her what color came next. She would go back through every color and almost always get it right.
- Math Apps – There are some great apps out there to help our kids with math, but kindergarten math might be a little trickier to find. Until now that is because Zap Zap Kindergarten Math just launched their new mobile first application with educational math games exclusively for our kindergarteners.
Zap Zap Kindergarten Math includes interactive characters and bright visuals to help motivate kids to dig deeper into the app. Before each game, your child will be introduced to a short tutorial where their mistakes are acknowledged and corrected to help children understand the learning process better. Once your child completes levels they will be rewarded with puzzle pieces that can be used to unlock rockets! I know right, is that awesome or what.
Zp Zap Kindergarten Math is aligned to common core standards. It covers a range of math which is delivered in an awesome module oriented, structured way. Kids will learn number recognition, plus and minus, as well as shapes and measurements.
Not only is Zap Zap Kindergarten Math a great option for keeping your kindergartener up to speed during the summer, this math learning app is available in eight different languages and is infused with adaptive learning! Oh and before I forget parents are provided with information about their child’s progress, strengths, problem areas.
Check out the below promo video for Zap Zap Kindergarten Math! The kids are going to love it!