This Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe always hits the spot on a cold chilly day. This soup is all homemade. That is what makes this soup better than any store bought soup packages. My husband and children love broccoli. My husband is not one that cares for soup much, but when it comes to me making this soup, he devours it. If you like cheddar and you like broccoli, then you will love this soup.
I do not like Broccoli, but I like this soup because when I add it into a soup I can always place it to the side. With this soup, though, I don’t taste the actual broccoli too much. The broccoli is big enough to set to the side. It is more of a texture thing with me in my mouth that I can not handle. My husband thinks that I am nuts because I will eat this Broccoli Cheddar Soup. He says that if I do not like Broccoli then he doesn’t see how I will eat the soup because he tastes the broccoli. I guess it depends on one’s taste buds.
Doesn’t this soup look delicious and creamy?
Another reason that I like this soup is I think it is unique to place the soup into a bread bowl like pictured. It saves from having to wash more dishes and its edible. How cool is that? This Broccoli Cheddar Soup is creamy, cheesy, and delicious! You can get the recipe below. It is pretty simple to make. Just follow the instructions and you will have yourself a great soup for a chilly night at home. I have the recipe in the recipe card below for your convenience. There are all different ways or variations that you can do with this soup. If you have any other way that you do yours, please do share. Hope you will enjoy!
Delicious Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe The Family Will Love
Broccoli Cheddar Soupon a cold chilly night. Get the Recipe here.
20 minPrep Time
60 minCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 6 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 1/4 C flour
- 2 C heavy cream
- 3 C chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 7 -inch sourdough bread boules (round loaves)
- 1 bag of frozen broccoli
- 1 C of matchstick cut carrots
- 2 1/2 C grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Saute onion until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour cooking until the color becomes golden.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of heavy cream if necessary
- This will keep the flour from burning, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Slowly pour the heavy cream into flour mixture while whisking constantly. Stir chicken stock into the heavy cream mixture.
- Bring this to a simmer;continuing to cook until the mixture has thickened.
- This will be about 20 minutes.
- Add carrots; simmer until they are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the frozen broccoli and continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Stir Cheddar cheese into vegetable mixture until cheese melts.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a circle into the top of each loaf.
- You will want to leave a 1-inch border all around.
- Remove the bread top, then hollow out the middle with a fork or your fingers. Leave a thick bread shell.
- Scoop soup into each bread bowl.
- Serve as is or top with additional grated cheese.