I love Valentine’s Day, it is by far one of my favorite baking holidays! I love the shapes, the colors, what it stands for, and the fact that spring is right around the corner. It just makes me happy. My kids love my homemade pop tarts, so I decided to change things up a bit and make them Homemade Breakfast Tarts with Grape Jelly Frosting Recipe for Valentine’s Day!
Just so you know if you do not want to make the dough you can buy a roll of pizza dough from the store and it works just as good. Just to let you know if you are trying to save a little time.
What do you say we get started on these homemade pop tarts? The pop tarts are not hard to make, but the more creative you get the more time you will spend making them lol. Next, I want to make some Valentine’s Day envelopes! I’m sure they will take me a little bit longer but it will be fun!
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup butter (cold)
- ½ cup water (cool)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Smucker’s Concord Grape Jam
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup powder sugar
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
To make Homemade Breakfast Tarts with Grape Jelly Frosting Recipefollow the below instructions:
- In a large mixing bowl (I used my electric mixer bowl) combine flour, sugar and mix together. Add butter and mix using mixer on medium-high until it’s all mixed together. Add water, vanilla, and mix on low until it’s a dough like consistency. Be sure no to over mix at this point.
- Ball up dough, place in a bowl, and cover with plastic wrap and allow to chill for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare a large cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle flour over your clean working surface, roll out dough until it is in a rectangle shape and about ¼” thick or so.
- Now you can use a cookie cutter to cut out the shapes you like, or you can make into equal rectangles. If you have dough left over be sure to roll it out and make a few more.
- Combine Jelly and Cornstarch and mix.
- Add the bottom half of the pop tarts on the cookie sheet. I used two cookie sheets. Add 1-2 tablespoons (depending on the size of your pop tarts) of the jelly and cornstarch mixture in the center of the pop tart. Be sure to leave the edge of the pop tart free from the jelly mixture.
- Beat egg and brush it on the edge of the pop tart to help glue it together. Press edges together using a fork. You want to do this before the egg sets in on the dough
- Poke about 6 holes in the top of the pop tart to keep jelly filling from escaping out the sides.
- Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Combine powder sugar, whipping cream and jelly and mix completely.
- Frost each pop tart and add your favorite sprinkles.
Not too bad is it? Plus, they turn out deliciously awesome and you can have fun with them for just about any holiday or reason. There is cookie cutters for everything nowadays, lol. So just grab you a cookie cutter that fits the season or reason and enjoy!
Check out some of the other recipes we have made using Smucker’s.
These Strawberry Jalapeno Cream Cheese Wontons with Jelly for Dippingare amazing I highly suggest trying these too.
OMG, another great breakfast idea is these Easy Bake Peanut Butter & Jelly Donut Holes.
Oh, look at this another great breakfast recipe you can try is this Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins recipe
This is a sponsored post written for Smucker’s by me. All opinions are my own! I love Smucker’s and I sure hope you’ll give this Homemade Pop Tarts Recipe with Grape Jelly Frosting a try because they are good!