Mattie and I had a blast making this yummy One Pot Chicken and Rice Burrito Bowls recipe! She was so cute, it was her first time making rice, but she did great. Mattie was so excited to be part of the Ben’s Beginner Program and be in the kitchen cooking dinner with me.
Uncle Ben’s knows that healthier futures begin when kids learn how to cook which is why they are on a mission to get kids in the kitchen through their Ben’s Beginners program. Uncle Ben’s is passionate when it comes to getting families to cook together, and for the sixteenth year, you can take part in the Uncle, Ben’s Ben’s Beginners Cooking Contest. Uncle Ben’s has teamed with Tiffani Thiessen whose mom, actress, lifestyle expert and cook.
I love spending time with my kids, especially in the kitchen. It’s awesome that I am able to share something I enjoy with my kids. I remember when I was little, I love cooking with my grandmother. We always had so much fun, so many great conversations and I learned so much from her. She was an amazing cook, and I am blessed to have learned from the best and to have so many great memories from our time in the kitchen.
One Pot Chicken and Rice Burrito Bowls
To make this One Pot Chicken and Rice Burrito Bowls you will need the following ingredients:
- 3 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small white onion (diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast cubed or diced
- ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup Uncle Bens rice
- 1 can of pinto beans (15 oz)
- 1 can whole tomatoes diced (14.5oz can)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup water
- 2 ½ cups shredded cheese
- Green ions (diced)
- Roma tomatoes (diced)
Let’s get cooking:
- In a large sauce pan add 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil, diced onions, and garlic. Sauté until onions begin to soften and add chicken.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, cumin, and chili powder. Cook chicken and onions on medium heat until chicken has started to brown and is mostly done.
- Scoot chicken and onions to one side of the pan, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and uncooked Uncle Bens rice and sauté rice until you notice some of the grains are slightly browned. This took me about 3 minutes.
- Add beans, canned tomatoes, water and chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Once it begins to simmer turn heat down to low and cover. Allow to cook about 15 to 20 minutes or until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is gone.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top, place lid back on sauce pan and allow cheese to melt.
- Garnish with green onions, tomatoes, and avocado.
The Ben’s Beginner program is an excellent program that wants to help children learn to cook as they learn to read and write. When you think about it learning to cook only makes sense, cooking is an essential part of life and is just as important as reading and writing. Plus, did you know that research shows that kids who cook and eat with their family often tend to eat healthier foods, develop healthier eating habits as adults, and even have higher academic achievement?
Since the Ben’s Beginners program launched in 2012, it has not only motivated thousands of families together but has also donated $715,000 to schools and children across the country to help create healthier local communities.
Parents with children in Kindergarten through eighth grade can enter by submitting a photo of your family preparing a rice based dish. Be sure to include the #BensBeginners hashtag.
Participants will enter for their chance to win one of the give Grand Prize packages which include $15,000 in cash, $30,000 cafeteria makeover for your child’s school, and one fabulous hometown celebration. You can enter until October 9th, 2017 at 11:59 pm EST.
Come join the fun! The Ben’s Beginners Cooking Contest is an awesome way for parents and children to build lifelong memories in the kitchen, learn an essential life skill, and cook for a chance to better their community and school with their rice dish.
I hope you enjoy this One Pot Chicken and Rice Burrito Bowls recipe as much as we do and I definitely hope you and your little ones jump on board and enter the Ben’s Beginners Cooking Contest! You just never know, you could be one of the five lucky winners and regardless of whether you win or lose the contest you will definitely score some great memories no amount of money can buy! To learn more about Ben’s Beginners Cooking Contest head over to beginners.unclebens.com.
This is a sponsored post written on behalf of Uncle Ben’s. All opinions and photos are my own.