This Quick & Easy Chicken & Green Chili Taco Braid Recipe is not just quick and easy it is AWESOME! My son has asked me every single night since I made it a week ago to make it again lol. I keep telling him we have to wait for the super bowl lol. Yes, this is one of my secret weapons for the upcoming super bowl. It’s easy, everyone likes it, and if needed, I can make another flavored taco braid or go with something more kids friendly like a chicken, broccoli and cheese braid. Oh, but don’t think this is all I’m doing for the super bowl, I have some other goodies planned too. I know it seems like a lot, but there are 8 of us who live here if we invite over any family and friends we have to be sure we have enough for everyone and something everyone will like. Which can get a little tricky with a picky eater like my daughter?
You’ll need the following ingredients for the Chicken Taco Braid with Green Chili
- 1 bag PERDUE® Perfect Portions Fresh Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, 1.5 pounds
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package taco seasoning or your taco seasonings
- 1 can whole or chopped tomatoes (drain out most of the juice and dice the tomatoes the best you can)
- 1 can chili beans (drained)
- 1 can corn (drained)
- 1 cup green chili
- ¼ to ½ cup water
- 2 cups fiesta blend cheese
- 1 tube pizza crust refrigerated
- ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped (optional)
Let’s make this yummy recipe:
- Preheat over to 350 degrees and grab yourself a large cookie sheet and grease or use parchment paper.
- Cube up the chicken breasts before cooking. Since we used Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts we don’t have to worry about speeding up the cooking time, just making the shredding easier on my KitchenAid because he does all the shredding, so I don’t have to.
- Boil chicken breasts until they are cooked completely and drain water.
- Shred chicken breasts. You can do this using your mixer; it saves time. I like to toss in a little of whatever taco seasoning I’m going to use and give it one more good mix, but you can wait and add it all at the same time. It’s up to you.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat and toss in garlic. Cook over medium heat until garlic is softened. Add onion and garlic and allow to cook for a few minutes or until onion & garlic start to look like they are softening up a bit.
- Add shredded chicken and beans to onion & garlic mixture over medium and mix completely.
- Add remaining ingredients – corn, canned tomatoes, green chili, seasonings and water and allow to simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes or until all water is gone. Don’t run off, there isn’t a lot of water it can boil out quickly.
- Open pizza dough, unroll it and lay it on your prepared cookie sheet. I pull the dough over just a tad to make it fit the cookies sheet.
- Now cut the pizza dough on both sides about an inch apart. I have found a pizza cutter works best for this.
- Place chicken taco mixture into the center of the dough. Add 2 cups of cheese or more if you like more cheese.
- Now begin folding the dough strips you just cut over the meat in the center to the other side and press and press the strips together creating somewhat of a seal. If you’re not sure how to braid the pizza dough look at the above picture. It doesn’t have to be perfect, they almost always come out tasting amazing.
- Next make sure the top and bottom of the braid are sealed as good as possible, so everything stays where it belongs, lol. Yup, keep all that cheesy goodness in there.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a nice golden brown color. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before cutting.
- Cut up some veggies so everyone can top with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, avocado, salsa and anything else you fancy when they get a slice if they wish. This is entirely optional; it taste great without it too.
You can also check out our recipe for a Pepperoni Pizza Braid. It’s super yummy too!
What do you think? Will you be giving the Quick & Easy Chicken & Green Chili Taco Braid Recipe a try?