I know it’s a little early, but since I have been home I have been cooking and baking so much more. I have always loved to do it, but was so limited for time. I recently made of my families favorites, it’s one of my fun Fourth of July recipes. I don’t remember where I picked up the recipe, but my family is grateful I did, lol. So if you’re looking for something really yummy that looks amazing, and is an awesome Fourth of July desert you have to try the Red, White, and Blueberry Trifle!
This is a fun desert, it’s perfect for any occasion whether you’re heading out to a party or having a Fourth of July BBQ. There is also tons of ways to substitute ingredients too. If you’re looking for the perfect Fourth of July dessert you cannot go wrong with the Red, White, and Blueberry Trifle. I wish I had a better picture, my family decided to dig in while I ran to the store to get some strawberries to add to the top. Either way, it’s yummy and you’re going to love it!
If you have never made it before, and are planning on making it for a gathering I suggest a trial run. It’s not hard to make, but it’s fun to practice how you want everything placed. It’s a heavenly mixture of yummy blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries. If you’re not a big fan of cream cheese it can be substituted with white chocolate pudding, just be sure to use milk to make the pudding. You can also use whip cream as a topping, or even powdered sugar as a topping.
Ingredients you’re going to need:
- 1 Box or if you have time I suggest using Homemade Angel Food Cake
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Sugar (I know, it’s listed twice. You’re going to need it twice)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 8 Ounces of Reduced-Fat Cream Cheese (at room temp)
- 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 -4 Cups fresh Blueberries
- 3-4 Cups fresh Raspberries
- 2 Cups of fresh Strawberries
Notes: You can add as little or many berries as you like. In my opinion the more the better. You can also take out any of the berries, or add something you think sounds good.
- Prepare your Angel Food Cake, if you don’t have time to cook one grab one from the store.
- Slice cake into 6 sections. This will make it easier to work with.
- In small saucepan six your lemon, ¼ cup sugar, and ¼ cup water. Bring to a boil over a medium/high heat until sugar is dissolved. Allow to cool, then brush over your Angel Food Cake.
- Cube up the cake into all different sizes. Normally I just use my hands and carefully tear pieces off. You can cube them if you like.
- With your electric mixer on medium beat cream cheese, the remaining sugar until its mixed well and lightened. Now gradually add the heavy cream in a slow but steady stream. Beat on medium until your mixture is a soft whipped texture.
- Grab the serving dish you plan on using. I always like to use glass, or clear plastic so I can show off the red, white and blue colors for the Fourth of July holiday, but you can place in any serving dish you like. I have even done them in individual cups before. Layer the bottom with cake pieces, then add your cream cheese mixture (be sure to spread to the sides so you can see the layers through the glass).
- Divide you’re blueberries and raspberries into three. (you can also place strawberries throughout the entire dessert. I normally only top, but it’s your call. Keep in mine you’re going to need more strawberries if you mix it throughout the entire Trifle.)
- Grab on of the bowls of Blueberries and scatter across the top of the cream cheese mixture. You’re Trifle will have three layers, repeat until you have all three layers. Tip: Be sure to keep the sides of the dish in mind if you’re planning on showing it off a little. Also on the third layer add the cake, and cream cheese mixture. Remember the berries on the last layer will need to be arranged nice and pretty to show off your fancy dessert. Have fun with the last layer, I like to slice the strawberries and lay them around the edge of my dish, and pile the raspberries and blueberries in the center. You can have fun with it, my sister in lay places some of the berries on top, then adds some whip cream, then adds a few blueberries, raspberries and whole strawberries on the very top. Get creative, it’s going to taste great either way.
- I always like to lightly sprinkle the top of the Red, White and Blueberry Trifle with sugar. It give the berries a nice taste.
- Refrigerate for two hours or more.
Tip: Hide from your family and friends they will eat it when you’re not looking. Happens to me all the time, lol. My oldest daughter loves this cake so much she always requests it on her birthday! NOPE her birthday is not in July, it’s September!
What’s your favorite Fourth of July Recipe Ideas? I would love to hear the, my family is loving that mom’s home enough to cook all this yummy stuff again.