Until recently making things like this Southwest Breakfast Cast Iron Meal for my family often resulted in leftover veggies going bad. It’s hard to use all your veggies in such a short period of time, it is for me anyway. Green onions used to always go bad in my house. I only needed to use two or three but you have to buy a bundle. Thankfully I discovered Rubbermaid FreshWorks Produce Savers! They are a veggie’s life saver if you know what I mean lol.
To make this southwest breakfast you’ll need the following:
- 1 bag frozen hash brown potatoes
- 4 eggs, room temp
- 1/4 cup caramelized garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 green onions (diced)
- 10 cherry tomatoes (more or less to your liking)
- 2 Jalapeños diced and seeds removed
- 1 cup Shredded Cheese
- Cooking spray
- Spray your cast iron skillet with cooking spray, heating it to medium to high temp.
- Add the bacon, garlic, peppers, onion, tomatoes and fry until crisp, remove the mix and place to the side
- While the bacon is cooling, pour off some of the bacon grease. Leave enough to fry the hash brown potatoes on medium to high heat.
- Once almost cooked add you bacon pepper mix and fold to combine
- Make four pockets and crack one egg into each one
- Top with the shredded cheese allowing the eggs to cook completely and the cheese to slightly melt.
- Cover to thoroughly cook the egg to the desired doneness
- If desired add the diced jalapeno pepper on top for garnish.
- Serve with salsa and or sour cream as desired.
You can keep all those unused veggies good with FreshWorks containers too! Yes, they really are amazing! In the US there are billions of pounds of food wasted each year. Until I started using FreshWorks a while back I wasted way too much food, mostly produce. However, FreshWorks has helped me cut the waste down to almost none.
If you are looking to keep your produce fresh give FreshWorks a try. They are outstanding, I was amazed how much longer I could keep my salad for several days longer than normal without it going bad.
I keep all sorts of produce in my FreshWorks containers but for these pictures, I put my leftover green onions in the large container, leftover cherry tomatoes in the medium sized container and parsley leaves in the small container. Let’s just say the containers are AMAZING! Right now I have lettuce in the large container and can you believe I am on day 7 and it was still fresh enough to toss on my sandwich?
Save Money With Fresh Works
Did you know that Americans waste about $24 million worth of produce each year? OMG, right that comes to about $192 for each household**. CRAZY right, well think of how much money your household could save if your produce lastes up to 80% longer. WOW, right!
So what’s the deal, why do FreshWorks by Rubbermaid containers work so well? Well, the folks at Rubbermaid put on their thinking caps and came up with FreshVent Technology, the size, and the CrispTray!
FreshWorks can keep produce fresh for up to 80 percent* longer than other containers and it’s all thanks to FreshWroks FreshVent technology. The FreshVent lid contains a revolutionary membrane and works to naturally regulate the flow of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide to help create the optimal environment for your produce to stay fresh.
Plus, the container is sized to fit optimally and keep food fresher longer.
We can’t forget about the CrispTray™ which elevates the produce away from the moisture and promotes proper airflow to help prevent your food from spoiling. Magical, right!
FreshWorks™ Comes In A Variety of Sizes
You can grab FreshWorks™ in three different sizes:
- Large (17.3 Cups) Great for those big leafy greens
- Medium (6.3 Cups) I found this one to be perfect for strawberries, cherries, baby carrots, etc.
- Small (2.5 cups)
You can purchase a package of three (one small, one medium & one large container) for about $26.98! It’s totally worth it. Over the past month, I have tossed out a lot less spoiled produce. My Parsley leaves have been in a small FreshWorks container for going on three weeks, and they still look great. Is that great or what?
To learn more about FreshWorks visit Rubbermaid.com.
Giveaway open to U.S. residents only. SheSpeaks will ship a 3-piece set of Rubbermaid FreshWorks to the giveaway winner. Good Luck
*Based on strawberries in FreshWorks™ containers vs. store packaging. Results may vary depending upon produce and use. “This is a sponsored post for SheSpeaks/Rubbermaid.”
**Source: USDA 2014