I’m going to bet most of us have been there, suffered from blogger’s block or writer’s block (whatever you want to call it. You sit down to write this awesome post, and BAM your mind goes blank, totally blank. You start typing, and nothing sounds right, you’re going 15 different directions and you know your readers will be wondering what in the world you were thinking posting that.
I’ve been writing for almost 5 years full-time, it’s how I make my living and I’ve suffered from bloggers block on more than one occasion, so I thought I would share a few secrets for overcoming blogger’s block or writer’s block. Well, here’s a few tips that worked for me.
Here are ten secrets to overcoming blogger’s block, I hope you find a few that help. Good Luck!
1) Start With A Catchy Title
I normally title my posts last when I’m having problems writing my posts, and when I know the general direction I want to go I’ll start with a title. It doesn’t always work, but more often than not words will start to flow after I have picked a title I’m happy with. It might even change the direction I was planning on going, which is normally a good thing.
2) Keep a notebook/app with ideas
I have an app on my smartphone that I can jot or speak ideas for posts into. When I’m hunting for ideas, I’ll pull out my smartphone and check out a few ideas I’ve had. It’s amazing the things I think about when I’m driving down the road, which is the reason for choosing an app that records my voice, lol. Evernote is an excellent choice, one of my favorites for so many different reasons.
3) Stay organized to avoid last minutes stress
We’ve all been there! You put something off until the last minute or forgot to write it down. STOP. Get yourself a planner or use your online calendar and get organized. Give yourself a deadline with each post, but don’t make it the actual due date. Give yourself a few days to avoid stress writing. Make sure your work area is nice and clean too.
For the love of writing a good post, SLEEP! There’s something about bloggers, they just don’t like to sleep. Maybe it’s how we learned about the whole blogging thing, maybe we are too busy with kids during the day, but don’t’ skip sleep. Commit to sleep each night, if anything get up early rather than staying up late. If you’re a better night owl and your life allows you to sleep during the day then by all means take full advantage of it. I’m a night owl, but my life doesn’t allow me to sleep during the day – darn it, lol!
5) Stop and get something to drink
Stopping for a nice cup of coffee or glass of water often helps me get my thoughts back in order.
Don’t be scared to ask your husband/wife, friends, and family members for ideas. Some of my best posts have come from ideas from my kids. They don’t write all day, every single day and often have great ideas.
7) Go for a walk
Fresh air does amazing things. It’s a great way to step away, regroup, and start over. Plus it gets your blood flowing that helps my mind function.
The more you read blogs, magazines, newspapers, etc. the more ideas you’ll have. Dedicate a certain amount of time each day to read other bloggers blogs. Plus, this is a great way to get to know other bloggers.
Get up from your desk, grab your laptop and work in another room, outside, or drive to the park. Changing your environment can help spark creativity.
10) Clear your mind, do something to keep your mind so busy you forget you blog for a living
There are so many things you can do to clear your mind, for me it’s keeping my mind occupied. I tend to think about things, too much. I have to do something to break away from my life as a blogger from time to time, which means keeping my mind busy on something I enjoy. I rarely play games anymore; it used to be one of my favorite things to do when they kids were gone.
I love technology and have recently been playing DoubleDown Casino, which is a social casino that offers the whole casino experience. I’m going to be honest; normally I skip right past online casinos, which is crazy because I enjoy the casino. I don’t visit all the time, but I do enjoy going with friends or family for a fun night out. I know so you’re probably wondering why I’m talking about DoubleDown Casino, let me explain.
There are a few reasons I like playing DoubleDown Casino, like:
- It’s a social game that I can play with my friends.
- Each new player gets 1 MILLION free chips. Yes, I said ONE (1) MILLION, and I’m still playing on my free chips. How awesome is that?
- It’s FREE to play every day and immediately available to all players with NO LOCKED content.
- Come back daily and spin the wheel to earn even more free chips.
- You can earn free chips for inviting friends as well. I made a mistake by inviting my husband to play – he’s always winning and of course he has to celebrate lol. MEN!
- You can play it at home, on the go, or even jump on Facebook for a game. Grab DoubleDown Casino on your Desktop, Amazon Kindle Fire, iOS, Android, and even Facebook.
- DoubleDown Casino is a great way to play the casino games I like and get away from my daily routines or to help me beat boredom.
- I’m learning how to play things I avoid in the casino because I don’t know how to play. Yes, I admit it there are a few casino games I totally avoid because I don’t know how to play. Well, I’m learning how to play them with DoubleDown Casino, anyone can play and learn. You don’t have to be an expert.
- Did I mention it’s FREE! Yes, I’m loving that part.
- Helps me collect my thoughts. Writing for a living can be difficult, and there are times when I need just to step back and take a deep breath. DoubleDown Casino is a great way for me to step back, get the space that I need, and totally forget about what I was doing. When I come back to whatever I was working on my brain is refreshed and ready to start writing.
So far I have enjoyed playing DoubleDown Casino; I’m excited I can play with friends too, defiantly makes things a lot more fun. However, when I need to escape my everyday routine for a few minutes, I like to play the slots of DoubleDown casino. There are tons to choose from, a few of my favorite are:
Triple Diamond, which is one of my favorites when I visit the casino too.
And Treasure of Troy, which I don’t seem to have good luck with, but I think that’s what I like about it. There’s so much more than just slots at DoubleDown Casino like Poker, Roulette, Blackjack, Video Poker, Bingo, and even Video Poker Tournaments.
All this talking about DoubleDown Casino makes me want to head over and play now before I have to start my mommy duties. Maybe I’ll see ya there, don’t forget you can play with your friends so you don’t get lonely. Plus, it’s a great way to clear the mind, escape from daily routines, and blogger’s block.
Do you have any secrets to overcoming blogger’s block? If so leave us a comment and let us know. Also, let us know what your favorite game is on DoubleDown Casino.