You remember being a childless couple, right? Those glory days before parenthood when you could impulsively drop everything to run out and see a new movie, or go to a bar? Remember how you were allowed to nurse a hangover the next morning, rather than having to jump out of bed with a headache to feed and clothe small humans? If you are on the hunt for the perfect date night ideas to help keep your marriage alive here are a few of our favorites to get you started.
It’s tough, right? As parents, we miss knowing what they’re talking about during televised movie award ceremonies. But wipe those tears, because it’s going to be okay. You might not be able to catch up on all the films you’ve missed since procreating, but you can experience that pre-children “young and in love” feeling again with the beginning of a simple weekly tradition.
How, you may ask? With a little thing called “Home Date Night”… and you don’t even need to leave the house to make it happen. Just put those kiddies to bed and let the games begin!
Here are 5 ideas to help create a fun and inexpensive Home Date Night for you and your partner:
1. Leave Your Comfort Zone. Because that’s exactly what most marriages become: a zone of comfort. Which is a good thing—we all need a safe haven in this world—but if you want to snap out of it for an evening and feel a little bit of that early relationship excitement, you’ve got to try different things. This could be as obvious as buying lingerie, or something more subtle, such as trying a new food or board game. You know the current boundaries of your relationship, so bond by discovering something new together.
2. Don’t Underestimate the Power of Bubbles. The bath kind, that is. Not the kind you spent twenty minutes scrubbing out of your couch upholstery after your child decided bubble blowing was an indoor sport. Bubbles smell great, allowing you to soak in warm water and relax, which can put any mortal in the mood for adult fun. Giving each other massages is a great relaxer, as well.
3. Picnics Can Be Primal. That’s right. Not all picnics involve elegant ladies in bonnets delicately nibbling cucumber sandwiches. Actually most picnics don’t involve those things. Anyhow, put down a blanket in your living room or bedroom and have a sexy, primitive picnic. Or just have a romantic wine, cheese and candles kind of picnic. But make it just for you two so you can talk about (or do) the adult things you can’t during normal family dinner time.
4. Male, Female, Email. Send your significant other an email invitation to your designated Home Date Night, including time and date, with plenty of romantic hints and suggestions. Sometimes a little anticipation can go a very long way.
5. Your Bedroom is a Theater. Relax, this is not a suggestion that you film anything that might come back to haunt you. But if you want to get caught up on some of those award-winning movies you never get to see, you could rent them for Home Date Night. And now that your bedroom is a movie theater, maybe you want to make it a sexy movie theater with a “clothing optional” decree. It’s your theater, so you get to make the rules. (Are you drunk with power yet, or is that just the wine talking?)
Keeping your marriage alive can be difficult with the addition of children to the family equation. Spontaneously sexy moments are few and far between when there are kids running around and meals to be made, but it’s really important for a healthy relationship to include some quality couple time.
Use these Home Date Night tips to to strengthen your bond, because happy couples raise happy children. And because you deserve to be happy.
Byran Smith is the Social Media Coordinator at MyLife.com is an online searching tool designed to help you re-connect with long-lost friends, ex-lovers, childhood friends or coworkers, so you can rekindle the friendships that you have made over time. Search by area code database at MyLife or zip code database at MyLife.