There are a variety of ways to dress up or design windows for any home or business. However, every home or business is different and every building has its own style. Nevertheless, there are a few actions you can take to make your window work better for you. When replacing or modernizing windows, it is essential to select the window that is best for the room or building entailed. However, utilizing these six tips can help windows perform to their fullest potential, improve ambiance and add a chic style to your home or business. Here are some basic ideas to maximize your window:
1) Less is More – The old adage applies to window treatments and shading, avoid bulky and heavy shades and strive for more upholstered, minimized pieces.
2) Use Acrylic Finish – Acrylic is a great way to sustain optimal performance of windows, while reaping the benefits of a robust glimmer and shine. Acrylic gives windows a distinct luster and can improve lighting in any room. Furthermore, acrylic also can protect windows from the elements and thus keep them shining longer.
3) Choose Current Colors – Using trendy colors is a popular way to create a stylish look. One of the hottest styles is terra cotta fabric mixed with greens, blacks and golds. Another method is to choose a traditional cotton or vinyl prints, either within a treatment or fusing it with a print in the valance or cornice, with another print on cushion seats or place mats. With today’s home design technology it is possible to create a design from a basic swatch or sample.
4) Add Texture – Roman shades are another popular commodity. These draperies now come in bamboo, rattan and other forms of natural fiber. Texture can provide an entirely new aesthetic experience and match the tones and decorum of homes that vary in style and age.
5) Manipulate Lighting – The appropriate window can provide the correct amount of lighting for any space or room. Some interior designers recommend soft lighting in kitchen areas, because kitchens tend to be accented more than living areas or bedrooms. Sometimes too much lighting can overwhelm the senses and thus provide results that counter what is desired. The strategy is to filter the correct amount of lighting, using slimmer or thinner shades often allows the appropriate amount of light in without over illuminating any room.
6) Add A Valance or Cornice – A curved valance or decorative cornice can change the entire ambiance of any room. Some designers suggest that this should be done over the sink to achieve optimal results. When choosing the appropriate piece, it is essential to take into consideration, the shading and staining of cabinets and furniture in the kitchen. Using corresponding color schemes are essential. The tendency is to go for beiges and browns for an earthy tone or using brighter colors for more modern or robust styles.
Bio: Paul Kazlov is a “green” home remodeling enthusiast and an industry pioneer for innovation in home renovation. Paul writes for the Global Home Improvement blog and strives to educate people about “green” products such as metal roofing and solar. Follow him on Twitter: @PaulKazlov
These are great tips for picking window treatments. The Roman Shades are nice, I’d like to vertical blinds myself. Thank you for sharing this post.