I love making homemade cupcakes and experimenting with new ideas. I don’t know why I like cupcakes so much, but they are by far one of my favorite things to have a little fun baking. The pictures for this delicious homemade Hot Chocolate Cupcakes recipe didn’t turn out as well as I wanted them too, but the cupcakes themselves are too yummy not to share just because the pictures didn’t come out as well as I hoped.
Anyhow, I sure hope you love these homemade Hot Chocolate Cupcakes as much as we did. My oldest daughter told me she wanted these cupcakes for her next birthday, which is in the summer. Naturally right, we can’t have candy canes on cupcakes in the middle of summer but with cupcakes this good I think if I were to smash up a few mints and sprinkle them on the top of the cupcakes they would not only taste fabulous, but they would look birthday party worthy. Maybe I can get some cute Happy Birthday flags or something; I don’t know it’s just an idea. I have several months to figure it out so if you have any ideas be sure to leave me a comment! I greatly appreciate your ideas!
Delicious Homemade Hot Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
Alrighty, let’s get everything we need to start making these homemade Hot Chocolate Cupcakes.
- 1 C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 C hot water
- 1/2 C cocoa powder
- 6 TBSP butter, room temp
- 3/4 C sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 C vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 C powdered sugar
- 1/2 C unsalted butter, room temp
- 3 TBSP whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 bag mini marshmallows
- 1 C mini chocolate chips
- 1 C crushed peppermint candy
- 1 bag small candy canes
Let’s get started on this Delicious Homemade Hot Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare your cupcake pan by adding the liners.
- Using a medium sized bowl combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and whisk together. Set mixture aside for later.
- In a small to a medium mixing bowl add hot water and cocoa, whisk together and set bowl aside for later.
- Using a stand mixer or an electric hand mixer cream the butter and sugar until it reaches a light and fluffy texture.
- Mix the egg, vegetable oil, and vanilla until well combined.
- Add flour mixture, alternate with the hot cocoa mix until there are no lumps.
- Using a large ice cream scoop the batter into the lined cupcake tins until they are 3/4’s filled.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven allowing cupcakes to cool in cupcake pan for 10 minutes. Remove from cupcake pan and place cupcakes on a wire rack so they can cool completely before frosting.
- Cream the butter, peppermint extract and powder sugar until the mixture is light and creamy. If the mixture doesn’t cream, you can add a few drops of heavy whipping cream until mixture creams.
- Test frosting and see whether it can hold a stiff peak or not. You can do this with a spoonful of frosting in the spoon upside down. If the frosting stays on your spoon, it’s good to go, if not it’s not ready yet!
- If the frosting will not hold stiff peak add more powder sugar 1/2 C at a time. Mix well, it should hold a stiff peak if not repeat until it does.
- Scoop frosting into a pastry bag, twists the open end of the bag to push the frosting to the tip of the bag. Start frosting each cupcake by starting on the outside edge of the cupcake and working to the center.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips and marshmallows on the top of the frosted cupcake.
- You can add crushed peppermint candy on the top of the cupcake and if it’s close to the holidays add a small candy cane for fun. (optional)
If you like our homemade Hot Chocolate Cupcakes recipe we’re sure you’ll like some of our other cupcake recipes.