A few weeks ago we wrote a post about our upcoming DIY Kids Table project for the Valspar Flea Market Fixer Challenge. Well, we are even more excited to be kicking off our partnership with Valspar and update you on our DIY Kids Work and Play Table using Valspar® chalky finish paint. Whether it’s painting walls or finishing up our DIY Kids Work and Play Table, Valspar is our brand of choice when it comes to paint related products, and I love the Valspar® chalky finish paint.
Before we get started, here is a before picture of the table we picked up at a local flea market here in Southern New Mexico. As you can see, it’s in great shape if you can get past the top of the table and scratches. It’s the perfect table for a DIY project, especially since the kids desperately need a place to be creative, as well as complete their homework. Since we recently added on to our home, my husband and I are in the process of creating a kid’s corner and the DIY Kids Work and Play Table is the beginning of it. We wanted to create something fun and relaxing just for them.
If you missed it, be sure to check out our post introducing the Flea Market Fixer Challenge. You see before pictures, and read about our plans for the DIY Kids Work and Play Table using Valspar® chalky finish paint.
Since we’re putting so much money into our home, saving money where we can with DIY projects is a must. Plus, DIY projects are the perfect way to customize your home and let your personality shine, especially using Valspar® chalky finish paint with 40 colors to choose from.
We originally planned on playing with different hues like Aggie’s Shawl, Crisp Bodice, Satin Ribbon, and Vintage Moire and adding some colorful shapes to the table. However, we ended up using Crisp Bodice alone because the table looked great as is.
DIY Kids Table for Work & Play Using Valspar Paint chalky finish paint
Here’s everything we needed and how we completed our DIY Kids Table using Valspar® chalky finish paint.
What you’ll need for the DIY Kids Table:
- Old Table
- Valspar® chalky finish paint in your color choice
- Valspar Clear Sealing Wax
- Valspar Chalkboard Spray Paint
- Premium-quality polyester bristle brush
- Lint-free, soft cloth
- Depending upon your table and the condition it’s in you may need sanding paper.
How to complete the DIY Kids Table:
- First we sanded the tabletop and applied the Valspar Chalkboard Spray Paint so the kids will have a fun area to draw and do homework. We only sanded the tabletop to remove the white gunk. The chalkboard paint did an awesome job evenly covering the rest of the tabletop without any priming or sanding.
Valspar Chalkboard Spray Paint is nonreflective and provides a nice flat finish. It is also durable, perfect for keeping up with the kids.
- Tape off the top of the table when dry to make sure you don’t accidently get any Valspar® chalky finish paint on the tabletop. Wipe the table to remove any dirt, dust, and other debris. Priming and sanding weren’t necessary for the rest of the table.
- Stir the paint thoroughly and apply Crisp Bodice Valspar® chalky finish paint using a premium-quality polyester bristle brush. Allow to dry overnight and apply additional coats if needed. Whether or not you use additional coats will depend on desired look. Applying the 2+ coats of Valspar® chalky finish paint provides a full, rich color. If you’re looking for a muted or distressed look, one coat should do.
- Allow the second coat to dry thoroughly. We let table sit overnight.
- Thoroughly clean surface and allow to dry before applying Valspar Sealing Wax.
- Using a premium-quality polyester bristle brush, apply Valspar Sealing Wax in small sections. Brush on the wax in an even and thin coat. Allow to stand for 1-2 minutes and wipe off with a lint-free, soft cloth. Be sure to work the wax into the crevices before wiping off.
- Allow to dry for at least 4 hours and apply a second coat if desired. We did go back over a few spots a second time using a small paintbrush, but we didn’t need to cover the entire table.
The Clear Sealing Wax creates a distressed and/or Satin look. Remember, you can get that old-world beautiful look using the Antiquing Wax. We didn’t use the Antiquing Wax on our project, but I do plan on applying it in the last step of an upcoming DIY project.
You should now have a stunning table for your kids to work and play. Hey, the adults might want to have a little fun too; I know we enjoyed drawing on our newly finished DIY Kids Table project.
The table turned out looking beautiful. Once everyone was done drawing flowers and coloring them in, Vayda and Mattie were waiting to take over the table, so they got the table set up for drawing and schoolwork.
Valspar chalky finish paint has inspired several other DIY projects, is versatile, and can be used on any surface with little to no prep work. Valspar chalky finish is also perfect for creating that chic chalky, vintage look for metal and wood furniture.
To learn more about Valspar® chalky finish paint, Sealing and Antiquing Wax be sure to head over to ValsparPaint.com or your local Lowe’s.