War attacks may cause a child to suffer from mental, emotional, and physical stress. The threatening experiences of wars result in sexual brutality, deaths, health injuries, disabilities, malnutrition, and severe illness. Among the emotional disorders, children result in developing depression, high levels of anxiety, PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder), and so on.
Among the perpetrated violent acts of man, terrorism and war destruct children or younger ones both mentally and emotionally. This suffering may even last for life. In some war zones study, it was revealed that about one from the five children is vulnerable to have a health suffering which can be developing any symptoms related to psychopathology, PTSD, or others. Also, it can be a possibility for such young ones who survive from a long-term terrorism activities or war attacks to developing mental disorders such as high levels of stress, anxiety, depression, symptoms of disruptive deportment, and much more.
The devastating state of wars, bombing, landmine explosions, or attacks results in targeting children more than other age groups. It can be a tough time due to the possible risks of wars:
· Sexual violence against young girls.
· Forced participation in combating activities.
· Brutal sexual rape resulting in pregnancy at an early age.
Children reaction to war attacks
After experiencing the devastating state of terror, fear, and trauma in the wars, children are seen with raised stress levels, which often result in leading to certain psychological disorders. Children in their development years are left with no clue about their life ahead. Even the survivors go through extreme pain and suffering either by becoming forced refugees, victims of rape, or other violence. With time, the children become normal to face the world outside of the war attacks. Though recovery is still in progress among them. Generally, the recovery time is dependent upon several factors, such as post-traumatic treatment, strengths, capabilities, or the damage extent. Also, some children who see such high devastation at an early age are likely to get scared for the rest of life.
The children suffer from high stress or mental suffering after seeing the attacks. This is a major cause behind their underdevelopment or becoming sick for a long time. The commonly faced mental suffering disorders among children’s are depression, trauma, PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder). Among the children, a major risk is associated with their mental health. Such traumatic times leave an unforgettable experience among them.
Effect on the emotional behaviour of children
In some studies, it was referred that it is only noticeable to capture a few reactions among children psychologically regarding their war, combat, or bombing experience. About 80% of children get affected by the explosion of chemicals or weapons used in the attacks. This results in causing them to suffer from symptoms, both psychologically and mentally. Even children face a traumatic fear for a lifetime. After the passing of several months from the bombing or war, children develop a fear mentally. This is even reflected in their emotional behaviour.
How can the experienced war children come out from the fear?
When the outer world is good to them or shows humanity efforts on them, there are chances for the war-affected children to be back in life normally. In these efforts, several campaigns, programs, or resolutions can be framed by NGOs and other agencies in addressing the needs of such children. In the war attacks, children lost 90% of the hope even after surviving from it or running from the war-affected region. For the remaining 10% hope, it is the humanity efforts by other people, which can help them, strengthen their desire to live. Many international, as well as local NGOs, are serving children or needy ones. For the war-affected children, it becomes a struggle to become normal in life ahead.
Some essential efforts which can help the war-affected children include:
- Good living environment
- Schooling or education facilities
- Healthcare facilities
Often, the children who experienced major devastation in war times feel excluded from the right to have an education. In times of struggles, it is only education that can help children learn about his or her rights and stand in society. The physically disabled ones are at major suffering from the loss of education even after surviving from the attacks. NGOs and other agencies must initiate the facilities for schooling among these children.
In conclusion, it can be said that the children are surviving or shifting to other regions after the war attacks do have a chance of facing mental trouble, which can last for months or more. It happens since the children faced with so much destruction in such a little age where their understanding is also not so mature. Even some cases become critical due to the lifetime fear of attacks.