Doona, the Car Seat and Stroller in One
~I received a sample to help facilitate this post. As always, opinions are still 100% my own.~
As a mom of 3, I’ve had my fair share of baby equipment, car seats and strollers included. You know, the typical car seat and stroller travel systems, where the two are a pair, the car seat going in the back seat and the stroller along for the ride in the trunk. Those days are over!
With baby 3, I made a change and said goodbye to the traditional baby travel system. I traded in two separate pieces of equipment for just one, without losing either a car seat or stroller for the baby. How does this math make any sense? One word – Doona.
Doona is the most innovative car seat/stroller combo I have ever seen and it’s certainly changing the way parents travel. What makes Doona so special is that it’s a car seat that transforms into a stroller. Yes! The car seat itself becomes a stroller and it’s just one piece of equipment. My days of hauling around a stroller in the trunk and having no room for groceries are over! Nobody needs that extra cargo anyways and now I have room for all the groceries (and other stuff) I want.
How does it work? Doona looks like your typical car seat except there are wheels that fold up under the back. Those are the wheels make the car sethat at a stroller. With the push of a button and a lift of the car seat, the wheels are released from the back and locked into rolling position. And when you want to put the stroller feature away, again, it’s a simple push of a button and sitting the car seat down, and your back into car seat mode.
Just check out all of these top-of-the-line features and accolades of Doona!
- No assembly required. comes out of the box, ready to use.
- Has the best 5-point harness in the industry and comes with shoulder pads for baby’s comfort.
- Comes with a complementary seat protector for your car.
- Is suitable for babies 4-35 lbs. and up to 32 inches, both as a car seat and as a mobility solution.
- Has a 3-layer side-impact protection: Legs, EPS foam and memory foam head rest.
- Front legs’ unique honey-comp construction is designed to absorb energy during side impact.
- EPS foam is wrapped completely under the textile set which absorbs the energy during impact.
- Side impact protection head rest that has memory foam on the sides.
- Memory foam offers comfort by molding to the shape of the head.
- Memory foam resists at the time of impact to offer added layer of side impact protection.
- Ergonomically designed infant insert allows use for small babies. (4-11 lbs. approx.) Infant insert must be removed when the proper positioning with the insert can no longer be achieved.
- Infant insert and the head rest are made of Bamboo material which is naturally anti-bacterial.
- Five-star rating from the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration).
- Textile set has passed the toughest U.S. standard (CA, Prop 65).
- Textile set and hood can be removed and are machine washable, cold and gentle cycle. Air dry only. Insert and head rest can be hand washed. Air dry only.
- Car seat handle acts as an anti-rebound bar which protects the baby in an accident.
- Unique location of seat belt guides on the handle provide user-friendly installation.
- Available in nine colors with coordinating accessories.
- Has won the most innovative car seat award at every show so far.
- Backed by a 2-year warranty from the date of purchase to the original owner. (Warranty is void if purchased thru an unauthorized channel, such as EBay, Amazon, etc.)
One of my favorite things about Doona is that it’s great for travel. The car seat can be used with or without a base, making travel in taxis, ubers, rental cars, and even planes, super easy. We’re actually moving at the end of June and while my boyfriend drives the moving truck, I’ll be flying alone with 3 small kids. My Doona car seat is going to save me tons of hassle in the airport because I can use it as a stroller while moving through the airport and just check it at the gate (my son will be a lap infant, otherwise I’d strap the Doona right into the plane seat).
Even though there are nice infant carriers available, I’m sure parents can appreciate not having to carry an infant throughout the airport. I’ve done that before and I couldn’t be more excited about using my Doona this time. Besides, I’m pretty sure I’ll need some mobility to keep the other 2 kids in line and from wandering off. We also won’t have our vehicle when we land, but I’ll still be able to use the Doona car seat without the base in a rental car.
Another great feature (or features) of Doona is all of the cool accessories you can purchase. We’re moving back to Florida, where it’s always hot and the sun is always beaming, so my little guy is going to need all the shade he can get. My first 2 kids were born in Florida and I hated seeing the poor things sweating so much from the heat. Things can get really hot when your strapped into a car seat or stroller and surrounded everywhere by materials.
With that being said, the sunshade extension is going to be a lifesaver. It’s an accessory that has to be purchased separately, but it is worth every penny to me. I love the way it fits tightly over the top of the built-in shade and it provides full shade to my son. There’s even a zipper opening in the top so I can peek in to check on him from time to time. Not to mention, the mesh siding that allows air to flow through.
And not only is the sunshade a lifesaver, but Doona also has various matching diaper bags and storage attachments. I have the All-Day Bag and it clips right onto the back of the car seat, with zipper front access to its contents. I use it to carry everything I may need for baby and also throw my own stuff in there.
I love that I don’t have to actually carry around a diaper bag or that there’s just no fitting place on the stroller to hang one. I always hated having my diaper bag hang loosely from the stroller handles and rock back and forth, into me and into the stroller, as we rolled around. With Doona and the All-Day Bag, I’m completely hands-free to do whatever I made need to and there’s nothing blocking my view of my son.
The only downside to Doona, in my opinion, is the weight. But it’s basically two pieces of equipment in one, so I guess that’s to be expected. Doona weighs 16.5 pounds, compared to traditional car seats that typically weigh 7-9 pounds. Add the weight of baby to that and you’re in for a workout.
We currently live on the second floor of a two family home, and carrying the car seat up and down the stairs is quite a task. With that being said, all of the other amazing features outweigh (see what I did there, haha) this one downside. I’ll deal with the extra weight to have the saved space in the trunk, and the ease of converting the car seat to a stroller, and the ease of traveling. My arms could use the workout anyways.
What will this one-of-a-kind car seat cost you? Doona retails for $499.99, and is available at independent retailers, as well as buybuybaby.com. Hopefully it’s not too much sticker shock because it is the most innovative car seat on the market. Where else are you going to find a car seat that literally converts into a stroller?
- All parts needed to convert the car seat to a stroller or get the car seat off of the base, are white. This makes it easy to identify what parts put things into motion.
- When cleaning the car seat, before removing anything, take photos. I know all too well how hard it can be to figure out how to get everything back in the appropriate place after cleaning.
- Due to its weight, Doona is easier to use when placed in the back driver side or back passenger side seats versus the back middle seat. Also, if you have children who you drop off at school, be mindful of which side of the vehicle they get out and try to avoid placing the car seat there.
- Instructional videos can be viewed at happykidssmartparents.com.