This post is in partnership with Universal Pictures
You can’t go wrong with chocolate, it’s ideal for just about any occasion, especially in the form of a cupcake if you ask me. Which is why I decided to make these yummy Double Chocolate Cherry Maskette Cupcakes & Cream Cheese Frosting for our Fifty Shades Darker themed party.
I hosted a party to celebrate the last film opening in theaters February 10. I received all sorts of awesome things that my kids got into. Yes, so I’m sure you can imagine that the balloons were gone, they left behind the balloon pump and ribbon, so that was sweet of them lol. I also received an awesome shimmer backdrop, and paper masquerade masks bottle of Fifty Shades Wine and fun stuff to put into each one of my guest’s goodie bags which included T-Shirts (which I loved), lip balm, a copy of Fifty Shades Darker book, and a vanity bag.
My sister even decided to go a few shades darker with her hair for the party. She was a bleach blonde, but went a few shades darker! I think she looks great, and it was an excellent way to welcome the movie. She always has all the good ideas.
For the party, we really didn’t do a whole lot when I think about it, but we sure had fun doing it, lol. We just sat around, just the girls (I don’t know how long it’s been) and chatted about all sorts of fun stuff motivated by Fifty Shades Darker so I’m sure you can imagine the fun we had while sipping on a glass of wine, eating cupcakes, and admiring my sister’s cool hair.
Isn’t it strange, how you can do a whole lot of nothing but have the best time doing it when you get together with good friends? I mean we did stuff, but we didn’t have to go out on the town. We stayed home and had a girls night. I guess it’s just been a long time since I have done something like that and I had the best night doing it.
I’m not even going to fit my favorite thing was the T-shirt, I think that was something all us girls agreed on. We took a group picture with my cell phone, but of course, it didn’t turn out great. In one everyone looks like they have had a few too many drinks (which we actually didn’t lol) and the other one is fuzzy. We all decided that we were going to save them and wear them when we go and see the movie in theaters so I put mine on and snapped a quick pic so you can see them.
To make these chocolate cherry cupcakes, you’ll need the following ingredients:
Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs at room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 ½ dark chocolate chips
- 20 cherries
Cream Cheese Frosting
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ¼ tablespoon salt
- 3 ½ cups powder sugar (add more ¼ cup at a time if you need to make thicker)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prepare muffin pans with cupcake papers.
- In a large bowl combine all dry flour, cocoa powder, baking soda & powder and salt. Mix together using a fork or whisk.
- In a separate large bowl (I used the bowl to my electric mixer) add oil, brown sugar and granulated sugar and mix on medium-high until it’s smooth consistency.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla on medium-high and beat until mixed.
- With the mixer on low slowly adds about ½ of the dry ingredient mixture, then add ½ of the milk, add the rest of the dry ingredient mixture and milk and mix until smooth. With the mixer on low slowly add chocolate chips and mix in.
- Fill each cupcake liner ½ of the way full and place a cherry in the center. Finish filling the cupcake liners up about ¾ of the way full.
- Place in oven and cook about 13-15 minutes or until they are toothpick done. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- While cupcakes are cooling whip butter with a mixer on medium speeds. Add cream cheese and mix until combined.
- Add vanilla, salt, and mix in sugar 1 cup of powder sugar and mix by hand. Once you have added ½ of the powder sugar mix in the whipping cream alternating with the powder sugar until it reaches the desired consistency.
- If you want different colored icing, you’ll need to use food coloring. I used less black, adding one drop at a time to get the desired color of gray, and more to get black.
- Apply frosting to the cupcakes. I used three piping bags with different colors and piped on the frosting at the same time.
The cupcakes were only part of the excitement at our Fifty Shades Darker party! The real excitement was chatting about how we think the film will compare to the second book in the series.
- Don’t miss Fifty Shades Darker in theaters, it’s in theaters just in time for Valentine’s Day. If you’re not familiar with the store, I’ll provide you with a little rundown, but let me tell you it’s going to be amazing. I’ve already purchased my tickets because the last thing I want to do is get to the theater on the 10th only to find out they have sold out to everyone who pre-purchased their tickets on Fandango. Yes, it happens all too often. So be sure to gather up your girlfriends or that special someone and get your Fifty Shades Darker tickets on Fandango now!
Before I give you the rundown about the movie take a moment and check out this awesome trailer for Fifty Shades Darker. I do want to warn you once you watch it you’ll be wanting more so be sure to grab your girlfriends and get yourselves some tickets before the 10th.
Don’t miss the awesome trailer below.
About Fifty Shades Darker
The wonderful Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson are back as Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele in Fifty Shades Darker. This is the second chapter of the bestselling “Fifty Shades” phenomenon.
Christian Grey is wounded and tried to entice a cautious Ana Steele back into his life, but she demands new arrangements before she will give him a chance. The two begin to build trust and stability when someone from Christian’s past starts to circle the couple and is determined top destroy their hopes for a future together.
You’ll also be excited to learn that Academy Award® winner Marcia Gay Harden, Victor Rasuk, Jennifer Ehle, Luke Grimes, Eloise, Mumford, Rita Ora, and Max Martini from Fifty Shades of Grey are returning for Fifty Shades Darker. They will be joined by Oscar® winner Kim Basinger, Eric Johnson, and Bella Heathcote for the first time.
Who else is ready for Fifty Shades Darker to hit the theaters? Don’t forget to grab your Double Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes either!
This is a sponsored post written by me for Fifty Shades Darker. All opinions are my own.