Can you believe it’s already almost Halloween? Since Halloween is almost here I thought I would share this fun and easy DIY Halloween Mason Jar Lanterns project. You can get your last minute decoration up and have a little fun doing so without spending too much money. Plus, it was fun to do with the kids. I didn’t allow them to spray paint, but they did decide on the Mason Jar designs, glow stick colors, and of course, the treat afterward.
I love mason jars because you can do so much with them. I’m always doing something with them, whether it’s a fun gift idea or an awesome DIY Halloween decoration mason jars always seem to save the day. Plus, you can make them glow without stressing the lights or even seeing an increase in your electric bill because you can use battery powered lights or even better glow sticks, so they glow different colors.
- Mason Jars
- Spray paint – I used white, orange, yellow, green, and black, but you can have fun and use any colors you like.
- Clear gloss spray paint
- Glow sticks
- Spray each of the jars with the color of spray paint you want them. You only need to spray one light coat, just enough to cover the jars. I used white for the ghost, yellow, orange and white for the candy corn Mason Jar, green for the monster, and had a little fun and made one black with orange polka dots.
- Allow to dry before adding any more spray paint or using the sharpie. They need to be dry before even attempting to use the sharpie. You’ll know they are dry when they are not at all sticky.
- If you need to spray anything for a second time do it now, before using the sharpie or if you’re planning on doing something similar to the polka dot Mason Jar apply the spray paint now.
- Using your sharpie draw whatever you’d like on your jars – ghost face, pumpkin face, witch, bats, and spooky houses, whatever you want! Have fun with it!
- Allow to dry completely, do not touch any of the sharpie drawings. Just let everything sit for about an hour or until dry.
- Apply a coat of the clear gloss spray paint to seal everything in and allow to dry. If needed you can apply a second layer. I like to apply a second coat just to make sure everything is sealed in there good. If you apply a second coat allow to dry.
- When you’re ready to light them up, break glow sticks and place them inside the jars.
The more glow sticks you use, the more they will glow. I used two glow sticks in each Mason Jar Lantern and made sure they were the same color so I could control what color everything was when it was glowing.
The pumpkin, ghosts and candy corn mason jars were by far my favorite, especially after I added the glow sticks. The pumpkin was a lovely orange; ghosts were blue and yellow, and the above image is the candy corn with a yellow glow stick. I love the way it looks and believe it or not, they’re brighter with the glow sticks than they were with the little lights.
Candy Corn Mason Jar Halloween Lantern
The Candy Corn Mason Jar Lantern needs three different coats.
- Using the white spray paint, lightly spray the Mason Jar almost to the middle.
- Allow to dry for about 30 minutes, spray with orange leaving room at the top for the yellow.
- Allows to dry for about 30 minutes and spray the rest of the jar with yellow.
You’re all finished with the DIY Halloween Mason Jar Lanterns Project!
While making the Halloween Mason Jars was a blast, the kids and I worked up a little appetite and what’s better than an easy Halloween snack after a fun day of making Halloween decorations? Let me tell you, there’s not a whole lot.
So what do you think of this easy DIY Halloween project? What are you doing this Halloween to have a little extra fun with the kids?