WOW, can you believe the kids are already back in school? I still cannot get over it, summer went by way to fast! We all know family time is more difficult when the kids are in school and adults are working, but it’s still important we fit in that quality time together as a family. Not only are the kids in school, but the weather begins to cool off, and it’s not as easy to go outside or have a BBQ. It doesn’t have to be a weekend getaway, it can be done in smaller doses.
Here are a few things we do to be sure and keep up with family time during the school year.
- Bake together – When it cools down outside, I tend to bake more. I also include the kids in my baking adventures. Sure, they get a little messy, but it’s loads of fun.
- Kids pick – Let the kids pick what they want to do for family night. They normally come up with some great ideas.
- Bring the kids along – My husband and I always have things we need to get done in the evening. He is normally working on the house, and I’m doing who knows what, but the kids love to help us. Even if it’s handing dad tools, they love it, because they get to spend quality time with us.
- Crafts – You don’t have to choose something time-consuming. A craft you can do afterschool is loads of fun and a great way to spend time with your kids.
- Family time – Get dinner out-of-the-way early, and pull out all the old pictures. Kids love looking back at themselves when they were younger and hearing stories about things they did. I love doing this, but always end up crying because they grow up too fast. Anyway, it’s fun, and meaningful.
- Read a bedtime story – If you’re not already reading bedtime stories, give it a try. Kids love it, and if you already are step things up a little, and get the family involved. It doesn’t have to be every night, but maybe you and dad could read together acting out parts, and just having fun with a story now and then.
- Family slumber party – Build a fort in the living room, have something fun for dinner, and have a slumber party with the kids. It’s so much fun, it will make you feel like a kid again too.
- Makeover – If you have girls, they probably like makeup. We spend so much time telling them to stay out of it, why not have makeover nights. Dad and the boys can do something special for them together.
- Play dolls or cars – Why not get dinner out-of-the-way for a short game of dolls or cars. I play all sorts of games with my kids, remember life is too short to miss these moments. Get up, and go play games with your kids it’s so much fun. I love playing dolls with my kids as an adult, but didn’t like them a child, lol.
- Family pictures – Taken pictures together, and individually.
- Eat at the table – Eat dinner at the table, turn off all technology and talk with one another. This is a great way for you to get family time everyday, and things like movie night more exciting. On movie night we skip dinner at the table, eat in the livingroom while picking our movie, or getting the move started.
- Watch the stars – I know this is easier said than done, because you’ll likely want to have dinner, baths, and everything finished before you head outside for a night of star watching, but it’s so much fun, and a great way to relax before bed.
- Playground – You can visit after school, or save it for the weekend, but spending time at the playground together is always fun.
- Clean the house together – Every Sunday we have a family cleaning day. It’s not your average cleaning day, we turn up the jams, dance around, since, and even have competitions. We’ll bet cookies, lol. I bet you 2 cookies I can clean the living room faster than you can put the dishes up. It’s all fun and games, but a great way to get everyone motivated to clean, plus we have fun together.
- Family game night – Why not buy a board game, and have family game night once a week, or several nights if you’re able to. It’s loads of fun, and a great way to put smiles on everyone’s faces.
- Movie Night – Have a movie night once a week, and let the kids choose the movie. Make a whole evening of it, start early so you have enough time to get everyone in bed by their scheduled bedtime.
Spending quality time as a family can affect children, and have a major impact on our children. Be sure and include time for the kids when you’re making your schedule for the week. Remember it doesn’t always have to be about the big things, because it’s those little things they will carry with them into their adult years. Even as an adult, when I talk about being a child I remember talking with my mom, playing basketball with my dad, my parents never missing a rodeo, and always being there to support me. Sure they did a great big things for us, and I appreciate them, but it’s not what helped make me who I am today. I am really excited to tell you about Coca-Cola and Walmart, because they have come together to do something pretty cool for busy parents. Check this out:
Effortless Meals is an awesome partnership between Coca-Cola and Walmart. The name pretty much says it all – easy meals!
- Amazing Sandwiches
- Ready-to-serve Rotisserie Chicken
- Take ‘n Bake Pizza
Now all of us busy moms can pick up Walmart and Coca-Cola effortless meal bundles for our families, which is going to be perfect for those evenings we want to fit in some quality time with the family. We already love the Take ‘n Bake Pizza, it’s what my kids want almost every single time we have family movie night. I am not going to complain, because I want the kids to choose something quickly and conveniently so we can fit in as much time as possible. enjoy yummy family dinners with the kids, and still have time for your family activities.
Do you have any tips for spending time together as a family on busy days? What are thing you and your family are doing to currently spend time together. Leave us a comment we love hearing from you.