I know you are probably wondering what the whole Grinch Christmas Candy Popcorn Dex-ipe is all about. I mean what is a Dex-ipe anyway! Well, my daughter recently read called Dex by Sheri Lynn Fishbach and it inspired this recipe. It’s her Dex-ipe!
My daughter is so creative, and when something inspires her, there is no stopping her. I can’t count how many times I have gone to her for ideas and it never fails she always comes back with something awesome. I’m pretty proud of her candy popcorn too! I think she is a fabulous job and I know this was her first time making candy popcorn! Check it out, she did such a great job!
Grinch Candy Popcorn Recipe
To make this yummy green Christmas popcorn recipe you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1/4 Cup Butter (we used unsalted)
- 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
- Dash of salt
- 1/8 Cup corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3-4 drops green food coloring (add more to get darker coloring)
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
- 8 Cups popped popcorn
- Candy hearts
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Lay popped popcorn out over a large cookie sheet.
- Combine butter, sugar, corn syrup, and salt in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, add food coloring, and stir consistently.
- Once it begins boiling cook to 250 degrees without stirring. Remove from heat, add food coloring and mix well.
- Add baking soda and stir together. Make sure to stir thoroughly but try and do it as quickly as possible. You’ll notice the mixture begins to get foamy. You want to pour the mixture over the popcorn while it is still warm and foamy.
- Stir popcorn around gently to evenly coat popcorn.
- Place popcorn in preheated oven for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove popcorn, stir mixture to make sure everything is evenly coated, sprinkle candy hearts on and allow to harden.
TIP: If some of your hearts don’t stick it’s okay, you can stick them on the popcorn as long as you do it when it is cooled, but not yet hardened. I had to put a few on by hand, but most of them did stick.
- Break popcorn into pieces and enjoy.
I think Vayda did an outstanding job! Can you tell she is creative and loves to cook? She finds her inspiration all over the place too. She was inspired to make her Grinch Popcorn thanks a book she recently read called Dex by Sheri Lynn Fishbach. She loved the book so much she made me read it and I’d have to agree it’s a great book, I can definitely see how tweens would love it. The book is filled with everything they love they love and if your child is like mine and loves cooking, food shows and all other things foodie I’m going to bet they will love Dex too.
Here are a few other Grinch holiday recipes we think you might enjoy.