Anxiety patients who are looking for medical cannabis can sign up immediately for access and apply for a medical cannabis card in New Orleans. Over the past decade we have seen an increase in anxiety in our community.
Patients report that medical marijuana creates a calming experience for anxiety patients. How is medical marijuana an effective alternative medication for managing the symptoms of anxiety?
What is Anxiety?
Anxiety is a feeling of worry, tension, nervousness, or fear relating to a specific event or situation. Patients with anxiety will generally experience feelings of nervousness or restlessness, stress, difficulty concentrating, difficulty sleeping, a sense of being on edge, and panic.
Using Medical Marijuana for Anxiety
Our bodies have an endocannabinoid system that is responsible for many functions. This system has been identified as playing an important role in the processing of anxiety, fear, and stress.
Because the endocannabinoid system appears to play an important role in responses to stress and anxiety, the two primary compounds from cannabis, THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol), have proven to affect anxiety. The interaction between these two compounds when taken inside the body with the endocannabinoid system can help reduce anxiety.
Traditional Treatments for Anxiety
The typical approaches to treating anxiety include:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is considered an effective treatment for a range of anxiety disorders. It aims to alleviate symptoms by helping adjust unhelpful thought patterns, beliefs, and behavioral patterns of avoidance.
- Several types of drugs are used to treat the symptoms of anxiety. Your doctor can give you antidepressants, anticonvulsants, antipsychotics, and beta-blockers to help ease your symptoms.
Medical Marijuana As Another Method for Helping Anxiety Patients
The effects of the two main components of cannabis, THC, and CBD, vary depending on the condition and response of the patient.
There are individual differences in responses to medical marijuana that are affected by a variety of factors. Many people report using marijuana to cope with anxiety, and this may be particularly common among those with social anxiety disorder.
Benefits of Medical Cannabis for Anxiety
Medical cannabis has been studied for its potential role in easing symptoms of many common health issues, including anxiety. Although there is much to be learned about its efficacy, results from several studies show that it has many benefits when used for treating anxiety such as:
- It is a safe and powerful natural treatment. It can replace pharmaceutical anti-anxiety medication that can have detrimental side effects when taken excessively.
- It is manufactured in different products like raw flower, edibles, oils, pills, etc.
- It reduces physiological symptoms of anxiety, such as increased heart rate
- It helps treat other forms of anxiety like PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) symptoms, such as having nightmares and replaying negative memories
- Cannabis can reduce stress levels and other anxiety-related symptoms, which is good news for those with a generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)
- Cannabis is particularly helpful in dampening any negative mental effects caused by fear, which can result from GAD
- Cannabis lessens anxiety associated with a social anxiety disorder by acting on certain areas of the brain that are related to interpreting others’ reactions.
- Cannabis can help to relieve insomnia that results from anxiety and trauma-related disorders.
- It lowers the level of cortisol, a stress-related hormone. The lower the level of cortisol, the greater the effect of lower stress levels.
Bottom Line: Can Medical Marijuana Help Treat or Alleviate Symptoms of Anxiety?
YES. Medical marijuana has been studied for its potential role in easing symptoms of anxiety. The outcomes of the use of medical cannabis for patients with anxiety have been hopeful.
Medical marijuana can reduce anxiety-related symptoms by dampening any negative mental effects caused by fear. It is a holistic alternative to anxiety-prescribed medication. It is a safe and powerful natural treatment. It can help replace pharmaceutical anti-anxiety medication that can have detrimental side effects when taken excessively. If you find yourself with no other options, we encourage you to give plants over pills a chance. We’re here to help you connect with a licensed Louisiana doctor today when you are ready.