WOW it’s hot outside! I have been trapped inside with 4-6 kids for the past three days. While it’s been fun, man I have also been stressed out. Once the kids get cranky, the fighting kids in, and mom wanted to grab her husband and head for the hills. Our anniversary is coming up and I have been raking my brain on how to spend quality time with my spouse. Between kids, and his new job it’s been hard.
It’s crazy how much one misses adults interaction, lol. My husband comes home from work, and bless his heart he wants to relax. I’m so happy to see another adult, I talk 100 miles per hour, about anything and everything I can think of. Looking back, it’s rather funny how much I look forward to spending time with grown ups.:)
Spending quality time with your spouse often get pushed under the rug due to work, kids, activities, housework, and everything busy parents deal with. Typically Shawn and I try to go out twice a month at minimum, but we have not been able to spend time with just one another in the last month, due to his new job. We wanted to do something special for our anniversary, and come up with ideas so we don’t let another month go by before we spend time with one another. Do you ever wonder how to spend quality time with your spouse between work, kids, and everything else? If so, you might want to check the list Shawn and I came up with to be sure we are spending quality time together regardless of what is going on.
- Vacation: Yes, I know they are not something you can do at the drop of a hat, and the kids often go, but we always build some of our best memories talking in the car while the kids are asleep, or holding hands while we watch the kids do something. Vacation is a great way to spend quality time with everyone, it’s a win-win situation.
- Make a list: Spend 30 minutes with your spouse with small things you both enjoy doing together. Maybe gardening is something you both enjoy, or acting like a kid again and grabbing your kids kite. Whatever you come up with I’m sure it will be fun. The neat things about the small things is you can do them from your house while the kids are watching a movie.
- Watch the clouds/stars: Spend time laying on the grass watching the clouds roll by, trying to make shapes out of each one. If you’re not able to watch the clouds the stars are beautiful too, and you can often do this after the kids have gone to bed.
- Walk: Go for a walk together! Studies show that regular exercise can help boost energy levels, which make you both feel better mentally and physically.
- Cook a meal together: My husband and I cook together. Normally I do most of the cooking, but my husband often comes and talks with me. We kick the kids out of the kitchen, and just chat away. We talk about anything and everything, before I know it we are doing the dishes together, making bubble hats. Yes, we really do, and it’s loads of fun. We just have to be careful that the kids don’t see us, or they will assume it’s okay to make bubbles hats while doing the dishes. I’m sure you can imagine what that looks like, lol.
- Celebrate: Spend time with your spouse celebrating. There is always something to celebrate, whether big or small, think of something and spend time with your spouse celebrating! .
My husband and I were not able to go out for our anniversary this year, but we didn’t let it stop us from celebrating our five-year anniversary. We cooked dinner together, for each other lol. It was fun, and we both giggled about it, and hey it’s the thought that counts right? Once the kids went to bed, I pulled out the two Turning Leaf Refresh I had been saving for our anniversary. My husband and I are not big drinkers, but we do enjoy celebrating with some wine over ice on a warm summer night. I love the summer nights, perfect time to be outside.
In case you are wondering about Turning Leaf Refresh they are a new style of wine: fizzy, fruity, and refreshing. I received two bottles:
Turning Leaf Refresh Red Moscato – Red fruit notes, with a nice fizzy yet crisp finish. This is a great wine for all your favorites off the grill. Everything from burgers to ribs!
Turning Leaf Refresh Crisp White – This is a crisp white wine with ripe apple and hints of lemon citrus. I could see this wine going well with some toasted chicken, or even some pizza.
I’m picky about my wine, and I have never been one to drink any red wine. I don’t know what happened, but I enjoyed the Red Moscato more than the Crisp White! What’s up with that? I’m not really sure either, but it tastes delicious. Shawn enjoyed the Crisp White, so things worked out perfectly. I felt like the Crisp White was too bold, but Shawn assured me I was crazy. I guess it just depends on your taste buds.
We both enjoyed the evening, two glasses of wine each under the stars, and celebrated our anniversary talking until after midnight (which is late my husband gets up at 4:00 am to get ready for work). To be honest I think it was one of the best anniversaries we have had. We didn’t have to rush anywhere, there was no busy restaurant, it was just the stars, and us in our big back yard. Oh, one cannot forget our pitbull Skittles. Seems like he can sniff out special dates (really I think he wanted some of the wine. Yes, he will tip the bottle over and drink if you’re not careful), it just wouldn’t be the same without him.
My sister n law and I had a glass of wine while watching the kids jump on the trampoline with the sprinklers on. You know the funny thing, my sister-n-law liked the Crisp White, and said the same things Shawn did. That I was nuts if I thought it was too bold, lol. I guess that is why there is 4 different kinds to choose from, something to stratify everyone.
You can pick up Turning Leaf Refresh in Crisp White, Moscato, Pink Moscato, and Red Moscato for only $8. In my opinion it’s definitely wine worth trying, and I honestly couldn’t believe the price. I’m no wine expert, but I do know when I like something. I very much enjoyed my Red Moscato. The White Crisp was okay too, but I did prefer the Red Moscato. I am also looking forward to trying the Pink Moscato, it sounds amazing; mandarin oranges, notes of cherry, raspberry and pomegranate. Our next reason to have some wine over ice I will be trying it! To top things off Turning Leaf Refresh is totally affordable. You can pick up a bottle for only $8.00 for your next day to relax or celebrate.
I was compensated for this my time, however all opinions are 100% my own based on my own experiences. I am part of the Mom It Forward Blogger Network.