If you discover mold growing in parts of your home, you may initially think it is nothing but an inconvenience. While it certainly is, the bad news is that the mold may also pose a threat to your health, that of your family members, and even your pets. The most dangerous mold found in homes is Stachybotrys chartarum, also known as black mold. After prolonged exposure to black mold, problems such as persistent coughing, headaches, sinus issues, and fevers or rashes can occur. To help identify molds in your home and if they are dangerous, here is what you should know.
When you have black mold in your home, one of the most obvious signs will be a strong, musty odor. Very often, the smell will remind you of rotting leaves or dirt. Since mold loves basements, crawl spaces, and other places in your home that are damp, dark, and humid, chances are your nose will lead you to these places.
Color and Consistency
While black mold is certainly very dangerous to your health, toxic mold can also come in other colors as well. In many instances, toxic mold will be gray and have a soot-like texture. Other times, you may find mold that has brown or orange spots that are furry. Should you find any of this in your home, it’s important to contact professionals who are trained in mold removal.
Since mold can begin growing in as little as 24 hours once an area of your home becomes damp, visible growth is yet another sign you likely have dangerous mold taking hold in your home. The most common sign toxic mold is growing in your home is noticing dark spots or rings on your ceiling or walls. Once you see this, there is a very good chance mold is also growing inside walls, ceilings, crawl spaces, or attics.
Stains Won’t Go Away
When you notice mold stains on walls or elsewhere, you naturally grab some paper towels and wipe them away. Unfortunately, this probably won’t solve the problem. Should you continue to see stains in places you have wiped down repeatedly, this means you have black mold or other types of toxic mold growing in your home.
If you or others in your household begin to experience respiratory issues, headaches, or other flu-like symptoms, toxic mold may be the reason why. To find out about the mold in your home and take steps to get it removed, always rely on experienced mold remediation experts.