Are you looking for Dia Del Nino recipes to celebrate Dia Del Nino? Everyone thinks a Smothered Chicken Chimichangas recipe is difficult, when in fact it’s one of favorite easy Mexican recipes for kids of all ages. The hardest and most time-consuming thing is boiling the chicken. Other than that, it’s super easy and a great choice if you’re looking for Dia Del Nino recipes that kids of all ages will enjoy.
Raise your hand if you enjoy awesome Mexican food dishes and spending time with family! One of my kids favorite things is this Smothered Chicken Chimichangas recipe! If I ever ask them what they want to eat I know 99% of the time they’re going to answer saying, “Mom make your Smothered Chicken Chimichangas recipe, PLEASE.”
How will you be celebrating Día Del Niño this year? You can learn more and get great ideas by visiting the HERDEZ® Día Del Niño Page here. Also be sure to continue reading because we have an AWESOME Sweepstakes to share with you.
- 1 whole chicken, boiled, deboned, and shredded.
- 1 can Herdez Salsa Casera
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 sprigs cilantro finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tbsp. paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
Green Chili Sauce
- One (1) frozen package Bueno green chili, slightly thawed (12 oz)
- One (1) Package of cream cheese (8oz)
- One (1) can cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese
- Salt, pepper and chili powder
- Herdez Salsa Casera
- Herdez Salsa Verde
- Lettuce (optional)
- Tomatoes (optional)
- Onions (optional)
- Sour Cream (optional)
- Heat sauce pan and combine chili and soup. Heat to a boil.
- Reduce heat and melt in cream cheese and gradually add in milk
- Bring to a boil constantly stirring
- Let simmer 10 minutes
- serve on top of Chicken Chimichangas
Directions for Chicken Chimichangas
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil and butter in skillet, pour into separate container and set aside
- Heat remaining oil in skillet and add onions, garlic and jalapenos
- Cook till tender about 4 minutes, reduce heat and add tomatoes, cilantro, and spices.
- Saute 2 minutes and add chicken, sour cream and Herdez Salsa Casera, heat throughout
- Brush a rimmed baking sheet with oil/butter mixture
- Fill tortilla with ¼ cup chicken mix and ¼ cheese, roll up and place seam side down on sheet
- Brush all rolled tortillas, generously with oil/butter mixture. Bake 8-10 min or until lightly browned and crispy. It’s a good idea to keep an eye on them depending on your oven as this process can move rather quickly. I always cook them with the oven light on and start checking after just a couple of minutes.
- Turn stuffed tortillas, lightly brush and return to oven for additional 8-10 min or until golden and crispy
- Serve topped with green chili sauce, Herdez Salsa Casera, Herdez Salsa Verde, Lettuce, Tomatoes, Onions, Sour Cream, and any other toppings of your choice.
If there is anything I look forward to during the spring and summer months, it’s a reason to spend time with the family and make good food, like this Green Chili Smothered Chicken Chimichangas recipe topped with super yummy Herdez Salsa! This is how we plan to get into the spirit of celebrating Día del Niño.