My daughter is a picky eater, she always has been. In fact, she really doesn’t like eat. To say it is a challenge would be an understatement. At one point, I remember going to the doctor and him telling us not to worry, she would eat when she is hungry. Oh sure, no problem, that makes me feel better! Add in to this fun mix the fact that she just started playing soccer. She also just started kindergarten.
With these two things added to our already interesting days, that means breakfast, lunch, and dinner are even more important than ever, even as they become harder to accomplish. I know plenty of other parents out there have gone through the same trials. You try cajoling, or bribing or threatening, but getting your kid to eat a healthy balanced meal is just one exasperating fight after another, one with you constantly worrying about your kid’s health and healthy growth. Junk food, no problem but healthier foods aren’t always as easy and that is what creates a healthier you.
One of the things our daughter does like is sandwiches. Bologna, Peanut Butter and Jelly, Double Deckers…if we can turn it into a sandwich, chances go up that we’ll get her to eat. But even sandwiches have their limit; there are only so many ways to make a PB&J, so we are constantly forced to evolve. One way we like to make sandwiches new is by turning them into new shapes or forms. Apparently this is known as sandwich art. I didn’t actually know there was a name for it, but there is. In other words, I was totally cool before I even knew that I was cool!
Perhaps even cooler, Nature’s Harvest® is celebrating “good taste” for back-to-school by hosting a Sandwich Art Facebook Contest that will be judged by celebrity chef/mom Kelsey Nixon! We invite you to get in the kitchen with your family and get creative while creating your OWN Artful Sandwiches. Then, simply go to http://woobox.com/ehh548 to showcase your sandwich art!
If you need a little inspiration, check out our Minion PB&J or our Little Piggy ham sandwich (It’s a piggy, I swear!). Both of these sandwiches are made with Nature’s Harvest Whole Grain White. With 8 grams of whole grains per serving, Nature’s Harvest is the perfect bread to make sure your sandwich is a healthy balanced meal for your little one.
As an added bonus, in honor of the Sandwich Art Facebook Contest, Walmart has placed Nature’s Harvest Honey Wheat on rollback for $1.97! After shopping for school supplies and clothes, Nature’s Harvest and Walmart are offering something healthy and on sale. Now that my friend, is a winning combination!
Food For Thought
- 57% of American consumers eat whole grains at least every two weeks in their diet (#2 in their list of BFY eating habits after “Reduced/No Fat”); 56% of American consumers are already trying to add whole grains into their diet (#1, Fiber and Protein #’s 2 and 3 following)
- “According to a recent nationwide survey conducted on behalf of Nature’s Harvest bread, nearly 75 percent of moms have employed creative methods, such as styling food into fun shapes, to get their children to eat more nutritiously.”
- “In our recent survey of moms with children ages four to 13, we learned nearly half of moms are concerned about their children’s nutrition and that 52 percent consider whole grains one of the most important nutritional considerations when purchasing food at the grocery store”
(Source: NPG Group’s 29th Annual Report on Eating Patterns in America 2014)
About Nature’s Harvest
- Families can count on at least 8 grams of whole grains in every serving.
- No artificial flavors, colors or high-fructose corn syrup.
- ALL Nature’s Harvest varieties carry the whole grain stamp.
- Whether Made with Whole Grain White, Honey Wheat-or any other variety, moms be sure it’s made with whole grains because it says Nature’s Harvest.
To learn more about Nature’s Harvest®, check out their website!
Before you go … we want to know what you think about whole grains! Check out this opt-in shopper research survey, may take up to $10 minutes, for the chance to receive a $5 Walmart gift card. The first 100 people that fully complete the survey will win. Please note that you must be a U.S. citizen and 18 years or older to participate. Go to NaturesHarvestBreadSurvey.com to take the survey.
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post written in conjunction with Walmart and a campaign with Sverve. Regardless, all opinions expressed are still 100% my own.