Raise your hand if you love Peeps! OMG, they are so cute and so is this Peeps Sugar Cookies recipe for Easter!
I love Peeps, if there is one candy that screams Easter to me it’s Peeps! I’m sure there are many other Peeps lovers out there which is why I wanted to share this reciep for super cute Peeps Sugar Cookies with you. It’s a great recipe that you can have fun with and involve your kids in. Just a tip, don’t let them touch the pink sugar OMG bad things can happen. Trust me, if it can happen it does happen in this house lol. I guess it’a okay becasue there is never a dull moment and I have learned to control my stress levels. Cute Peeps Sugar Cookies Recipe
Cute Peeps Sugar Cookies Recipe for Easter
Okay, let’s get to the cute recipe for Easter. You’re going to need the below ingredeients for the peeps cookies:
Sugar Cookie Ingredients:
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups soft unsalted butter
- 2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- Cookie Cutter – I used Wilton 2 count Peep Cookie Cutter
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup powder sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Pink and black gel food coloring
- Pink Sanding Sugar
Okay, let’s make the Peep Sugar Cookies shall we?
Sugar Cookie Directions:
- Cream the soft butter with the sugar until the combination is smooth not grainy to the touch in a mixing bowl.
- Add all 2 eggs at one time…Continue to mix, add vanilla and mix.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder together and add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix until all ingredients are blended.
- Make the dough into a ball, wrap it in cling wrap completely covering the entire dough ball and place in refrigerator for at least 6 hours, it’s okay to leave it overnight. Remove dough, make sure it is firm.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and prepare cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- The cookie dough should soften up a bit since removed from the refrigerator.
- Put flour out on the cutting board, rub flour on the rolling pin, and (if needed) work some flour into the batter.
- Roll the dough out on the cutting board and using the cookie cutter begin to make your cookies.
- Using a metal spatula move the cut cookies to the parchment lined cookie sheet and bake at 325 degrees for 8 minutes. Check to see if the cookies are thoroughly baked.
- Take the cookies off of the cookie sheet and put on a wire rack to cool completely. About 10 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients (except your food coloring) in a mixing bowl and on medium speed for 4 minutes.
- If icing is not stiff enough, add 1/4 cup powder sugar and mix well. Remove 2 tablespoons of icing into a small bowl and leave the remaming icing in the other bowl.
- Add several drops of black gel food coloring to the first bowl of icing. Stir well to mix the color. To the second bowl of icing add several drops of pink food coloring mixing well to make sure the color is blended throughout the entire bowl of icing.
- Spoon each color of icing into individual frosting bags with a #2 tips. Twist the open end of the bag to push the icing to the tip. Set the black icing aside.
- Outline each of the cookies with the pink icing and allow to dry for about 1 minute and fill in the body with the thinner pink icing (see below).
- Squeeze the majority of the pink frosting into a bowl then add 1 tsp of water, stir to mix. Apply using a butter knife spread the icing all over the cookie. Allow to dry for 1 minute.
- Gently shake the pink sanding sugar all over the cookies.
- Allow the cookies to set for about 5 minutes then shake the excess off of the cookies.
- Using the frosting bag filled with the black icing make each dot for the two eyes and one for the nose.
- Set cookies aside and allow to dry. Typically takes about 2 hours.
The cookies are super easy to make and a whole lot of fun! The mess however isn’t fun to clean up so remember not to let the kids go crazy with the pink sugar spinkles or you’ll be cleaning up sprinkles for the next month like me. I’m telling you the stuff is as bad as glitter, I’m still finding it in my daughters hair lol. Not really, but it feels like that some days.
I hope you enjoy these cute Cute Peeps Sugar Cookies Recipe for Easter. Happy almost Easter everyone!