My kids head back to school on the 11th. Needless to say, I’m trying to spend as much time as possible with them before they head back to school while trying to get them back into their back to school routine. The last thing I want is my kids falling asleep in class, but I also want to be sure I get to see their smiling faces as much as possible before they head back. ,
Truth be told, I’m having a seriously hard time with them heading back to school this year. My youngest is heading off to kindergarten and WOW; it’s a wake-up call for sure. I want to give my kids the best childhood I can, and they are growing up MUCH faster than I’d like.
Since getting my kids in their back to school, routine is equally as important as fitting in quality time before they head back here are a few affordable activities that help with both.
- Have fun getting schedules back on track – Getting the kids back on track for school isn’t always and easy or the most fun task, but there are things you can do to make it fun. Think of things that make the mornings more fun for everyone – games, going out to eat breakfast, cooking breakfast together, or plan a back to school shopping trip early. It’s also a good idea to enjoy the day together and keep the kids busy so they are able to fall asleep earlier.
- Head to the Park – The park is always my go to place with the kids. They love the park, it’s easy, close, and a great way for us to have fun together. Plus, it helps the kids get out extra energy to make bedtime easier or helps them wake up early because they are excited to visit the park.
- Hit up a free movie – I don’t know how the movies are where you live, but I have noticed most cities have a free movie day of the week. They normally play older movies, but they are still fun, and you don’t have to purchase all that expensive candy and popcorn.
- Read together – Summer reading with kids is important and so is time with your kids. Why not combine to the for a nightly bedtime story, or just daily reading time together.
- Go for a walk – One of my favorite ways to fit in quality time together is a relaxing evening walk with my kids. It’s the great way to relieve stress from the day, chat, and spend a little time getting to know your kids outside of the house.
- Go fishing – Now, this is an AWESOME way to spend time with the kids, hubby, or even relax on your own.
- Camping – Camping a great way to spend time together. Leave all the techy items behind, grab your tent, sleeping bags, food, etc., and head for a good camping spot. There is something about being away and enjoying the great outdoors that really allows the family to bond. It’s hard not to hit the sack early and wake up early when we go camping together, lol.
- Grab something to eat – I love heading out to breakfast with the family. It’s kind of a tradition for us. Every year, two weeks before school starts, we start preparing the kids for their back to school schedule.
Of course there are great places to eat like Denny’s! Did you know that guest can receive FREE kids meals for one child under the age of 10 with the purchase of your adult entrée of $2.50 or more? Yes, and they also have the FREE birthday grand slam, which allows guest to celebrate with a FREE Original Grand Slam® meal at participating Denny’s restaurants. All you’ll need to do is show proof that it’s their birthday and they’ll get a free Original Grand Slam® when they dine-in.
Plus, we can’t forget about my favorite part of the menu – Denny’s ‘Fit Fare’ Menu Items, which offer those of us trying to eat a little lighter a way to enjoy dining out with the family. Oh, and what about the $2468 Menu Items. NOT, it’s nothing that cost $2468, it’s Denny’s $2, $4, $6, $8 Value Menu, which provides guest with plenty of budget-friendly dishes for the entire family.
It’s always good to know there is somewhere like Denny’s to spend time together as a family and take the kids out for something special. Whether it’s the Jr. French Toast or Chocolate Chip Pancakes for breakfast for a Pizza or Chicken Nuggets Denny’s as something affordable and tasty for kids anytime of day. Oh, and don’t forget about sweet – ice cream, Build Your Own Jr. Sundae, or even the yummy Jr. Milk Shake.