I love Halloween – it’s one of my favorite times of the year, and thanks to our friends at Amazon, we found the inspiration for this quick affordable dog Halloween Costume. We call it the box spider and it cost me nothing to make. I’m proud of myself for this one, because I spend too much money this time of year and this year, I am trying to cut back my spending. Which means, buying our dog Sasha a costume for Halloween was out of the question. But, just because I can’t afford to buy her one doesn’t mean she shouldn’t get to enjoy the fun too, right?
It’s almost Halloween, which means it’s time to make Boxtumes! As you can see, Sasha is sporting a spider boxtume. Boxtumes are DIY costumes made of Amazon Smile Boxes and crafting supplies you have around your home. I do tons of shopping online for everything from food to craft supplies and Amazon is always the first place I visit.
Being an Amazon Prime member means I not only score awesome benefits like FREE two-day shipping, FREE same-day delivery, amazing streaming benefits, shipping benefits and more, but I also was able to create the box spider costume for a special member of our family. This costume cost us nothing, and my kids and I had a blast.
Quick, Affordable Dog Halloween Costume – DIY Box Spider Boxtume
To make your dog a Spider Boxtume you’ll need the following items:
- 2 Amazon smile boxes
- Black spray paint
- Box cutter
- Red construction paper
Follow the below instructions to make your dog’s box spider costume:
- Spray paint the outside both boxes with the black spray paint.
- You’ll want to unfold one of them and leave the other folded.
- Using your box cutter, cut 8 legs and a square for the spider’s head from the other spray painted box. I cut mine long and trimmed them later.
- To put the legs on, you can use a hot glue gun or you can make the legs extra long and lay them on the top of the box, make two 4 slits on each side of the box for a total of 8, and make two tabs on each leg so you can push the tabs down into the slits on the box.
- Fold the square piece you cut and attach it to the body. Keep in mind you’ll want to make the square piece big enough so your dogs head can fit. I attached the spiders head by making tabs on the square piece I cut and made slits in the box.
I will never forget how hard we all laughed when we put this box spider costume on Sasha. Oh my gosh, she looks so cute, and once she got used to wearing it, watching her run all over the house in her spider boxtume is something I’ll never forget. So much fun, so many amazing memories and all we needed was our Amazon smile boxes and a few things we already had in the house.
This was a fun DIY Halloween project we all enjoyed making together. It was super affordable (okay, free), and I didn’t even have to go to the store. Is that sweet or what? Not to mention the laughs and memories we will have forever! I love doing fun projects like this with the whole family, we always have so much fun and I know we will all have together.
There are so many awesome costumes you can make using boxes – next we will make a Rubik’s Cube for my oldest daughter.
Do you have Amazon smile boxes around the house? Why not have a little fun and create your own Halloween goodness?! Have fun this Halloween and make a boxtume, make your pet a boxtume, or create decorations, trick or treat containers, masks, or even haunted house decorations. The possibilities are endless and loads of fun! Let your creative juices flow!