My husband and I recently took a road trip from New Mexico to South Dakota. It was such an incredible drive and every time we head east I fall more and more in love with the area. I’m going to be honest; I was surprised there were so many things to do in South Dakota. My husband and I are even planning a return trip with the kids we enjoyed it so much.
If you haven’t had the chance to visit South Dakota, it’s something to consider. There are so many things to see and do in South Dakota and here are a few of my favorite.
- Mount Rushmore – OMG, who doesn’t want to see Mount Rushmore. It’s even better when you get up close and personal.
- Sioux Falls – I traveled to Sioux Falls to start my blogging adventures to learn the true story of honey and let me tell you Sioux Falls is one of the most beautiful places I’ve visited. It’s named for the waterfalls that run right through downtown; it’s breathtaking.
- OMG Indian Tacos – I live in New Mexico, we have fry bread, which is an incredible heart attack just waiting to happen, but so worth trying. Indian Tacos are similar, but rather than all the sweet stuff on the fried bread they add cheese and oh so yummy greasy ground beef, defiantly not something you could eat daily, but worth trying if you are in the area.
- Camping – We didn’t do any camping while we were in the area, but my husband and I both agreed it was defiantly a place that had great camping. You’ll want to make certain e sure you have your list of things to remember on your family camping trip, or it could end up being a rather stressful or costly camping trip.
- The Wild Horse Sanctuary – There are currently more than 600 Mustangs running free on 11,000 acres of private land in South Dakota. The Back Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary in Hot Springs South Dakota does amazing things for these beautiful animals and I’m a firm believer in showing my support. Whether it’s with a donation for a visit, I’m all about saving the Mustangs! There is several different tours available and even lodging if you are interested. Why not, it’s supporting the while Mustang.
- Motorcycle Rally – If you like motorcycle rallies than you’ve likely heard of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, which has been known to have almost 500,000 people visiting.
- Outdoor Adventures – If you love the great outdoors – camping, fishing, hiking, etc., you might want to seriously consider checking out South Dakota. They have more than 5 national parks and 10 state parks and the land is perfect for any outdoor enthusiast.
I’m picky when it comes to where I lay my head so I choose to go with a hotel chain I trust will provide me with everything I need whether I’m traveling alone or with the family. Which is why I like Residence Inn by Marriot, it’s a name I know and trust, which is important whether I’m traveling alone or with the family.
Did you know Residence Inn has more than 650 properties in the US, Europe, Middle East, Canada, and Central America? It’s a leader in the extended-stay lodging segment, and it’s hard not to love the spacious suites that include separate living and sleeping areas, which is perfect for the whole family or just comfort reasons. The suites include a fully functional kitchen, grocery delivery, free breakfast, 24-hour market, and, of course, FREE Wi-Fi to help you stay connected while you’re traveling for work or pleasure! It’s seriously one of the most comfortable places to stay while you’re away from home.
Oh and before I forget! My fellow pet lovers will be happy to know that many of their properties are even pet-friendly. If you are looking for a place to shack up for the night, week or work week be sure to check out Residence Inn by Marriot. You can find a hotel by visiting their website ResidenceInn.com.
For more information and things to do in South Dakota you can also visit TravelSouthDakota.com
Be sure to check out a few things to see and do in Colorado.