Shirley Temple Cupcakes with Lime Frosting Recipe
Can’t wait for the weekend??? Check out my this cupcake recipe to get you through until the weekend.
At the first part of the week, I am going strong and ready to conquer the week and get everything done I need too. Then come Wednesday and the day drags and I just can’t wait until Friday. I would love to meet someone that does not go through that midweek slump and how they keep from going through it. Anyways, one of my most favorite drinks is a Shirley Temple. If you do not know what the Shirley Temple is, it’s a drink (non-alcoholic) made up on Ginger Ale (or Lemon Lime Soda), a splash of Grenadine, and topped with a Maraschino Cherry. This is a great drink that can be served to both kids and adults. Now if it is the weekend, I do sometimes add in vodka or rum, depending on my mood, and turn it into a “Dirty Shirley”. I just couldn’t wait for the weekend, so I set off on an adventure into my kitchen to create replica Shirly Temple Cupcakes that we can enjoy and hold us off until we can sit back and relax.
Shirley Temple Cupcakes
It is very simple to create these cupcakes. You will need the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup unsalted sweet cream butter (softened)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp lime zest
- Cherry Juice
- 1 tsp lime extract
- 1 cup unsalted sweet cream butter (softened)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp lime extract
- 3 tbs heavy whipping cream
Now let’s get these Shirley Temple Cupcakes in the oven!!
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line your cupcake tin with liners.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl mix the butter, sugar, vanilla, lime zest and the extract using an electric mixer on high for 30 seconds, or until well blended. Follow by adding one egg at a time and mixing on slow. Next, alternate between adding the flour mixture and a little milk to the butter mixture. Mix on low speed until everything is mixed and mingling well together.
- Fill the cupcake liners ⅔ full with cupcake batter and bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Use a toothpick to check and make sure they are done.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 30 minutes. Lightly dip into cherry juice and let them cool completely down before frosting.
- Now let’s make the frosting. In a large mixing bowl mix the butter and lime extract on high speed using an electric blender until it is fluffy. Add in a cup of sugar at a time and mix well. Keep mixing until your frosting is still and doesn’t fall off the whisk. Note: If your frosting is too thick and starts to pebble, add in a little heavy cream.
- Pipe the cupcake using a piping bag and a star tip. Top with green sprinkles and a cherry.
There you have it!! Isn’t that cupcake so easy? It is packed full of flavor and perfect for any event. I hope you enjoy my Shirley Temple Cupcakes as much as my family has. If you wish, you can print out the recipe card below to keep in your recipe binder. If you make these, remember to let me know how they turn out and if you like to feel free to post a picture to on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram and post it to my page or just tag me.
If you loved this recipe, check these out: