I have grown to enjoy cooking in my slow cooker, and there are some pretty yummy slow cooker recipes out there that you can tweak and make all your own. I have so much fun coming up with yummy slow cooker recipes, but the Green Chile Enchiladas casserole recipe is by far one of my favorites, and every else seemed to like it as well. The only difference I noticed, other than the enchiladas tasted better from the slow cooker, is the enchiladas from the crock pot don’t come out looking all pretty like they do from the oven. I think it is due to how many more layers I used in the crock pot, but the taste makes it all worth it.
If you are looking for an easy way to make Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas, thank be sure to give this a try. you could even cut the time in half, and use flour tortillas. Anyway, enjoy the green chile chicken enchilada, and please let me know if you try them. I would love to hear what you think about them.
Slow Cooker Recipes: Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas Casserole
1-2 pounds chicken breast
Dash of salt
1 can cream of chicken soup
½ -1 container (13 oz.) Bueno Frozen Green Chili (I use Hot Hatch Green Chili, but I think you can only purchase it in New Mexico. If you do not like it hot, use mild, or only add enough to give it a nice flavor. If they do not have Bueno Green Chili, get your favorite kind. Green chili really does make all the difference in the world, and stay away from canned green chili. It’s just not the same).
1 package (about 16) corn tortillas
4 cups Shredded Colby & Monterey Jack Cheese or Kraft Mexican Cheddar Jack Cheese (I always like to add extra cheese. Please feel free to add as much or as little cheese as you like)
1 can black olives (optional)
½ white onion (optional)
3 green onions (optional)
- Place the chicken into your crockpot with a little water on the bottom and add a dash of salt. I do not use a lot of salt, so you may want to add a little more if you like salt. Cook for 3-4 hours or until completely cooked.
- Once Chicken is done remove from the crockpot and place in a strainer and allow it to cool. You can also run cool water over it. While the chicken is cooking, you may want to wash your crockpot and dry so we can begin layering the Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas Casserole.
- Once the chicken is cool, begin shredding with a fork. If you cook chicken in the crockpot it should almost fall apart for you. Make shredding nice and easy. Leave in the strainer and set aside.
- Spray the inside of the slow cooker lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- Get a large plate, and cover with 4 paper towels. You will place the corn tortillas on this after you are done cooking, and it will help to soak up the grease.
- Cook corn tortillas for a few seconds on each side. They should be cooked, but softer than a taco shell. I cook for about 20 seconds on each side. I normally use about 16 corn tortillas. You may use more or less depending on the size of your crockpot, and how thick you make the layers. It’s okay to make a few at a time so you do not make too many.
- Mix your cream of mushroom soup and green chili in a medium mixing pan on medium-high and cook until its warm, and mixed.
- First you will cover the bottom of your crockpot with corn tortillas. Try to make sure there is very little to none of the bottom of the crockpot showing.
- Next add a layer of chicken, cover with the green chili sauce, and cover the sauce with cheese. Repeat until you are out of everything, or your crockpot is full.
- Cover the crockpot and cook on high for 1 hour, or until cheese is completely melted. Be sure to watch it, and avoid any of the cheese burning on the sides. You can also cook on a low for a little longer, but keep an eye on everything.
You can top with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, sour cream, or anything else that sounds fabulous.