I don’t know about you, but I love making cute cupcakes, like these Super Duper Cute Scarecrow Cupcakes Recipe! I am pretty happy with the way they turned out, much more adorable than I would have thought. I sent them with my daughter to school for her fall party, and she said they were a hit, but her teacher ate most of them lol. Her teacher is excellent, and she is 1st time prego and loves the sweets lol. Regardless I’m glad someone enjoyed eating them and not just looking at them lol.
[clickToTweet tweet=”WOW, I can’t wait to try one of these super cute scarecrow cupcakes from @sjblahblahblog. #JBBB ” quote=”WOW, I can’t wait to try one of these super cute scarecrow cupcakes from @sjblahblahblog. #JBBB ” theme=”style3″]
Alrighty then, let’s get busy making some scarecrow cupcakes what do you say. Great, let’s get started.
Super Cute Scarecrow Cupcakes Recipe
Okay, before we get started the directions are not as scary as they look lol. I know they’re long, but it’s super easy stuff just a lot of steps but worth it!
For the butter cake cupcakes you’ll need the following:
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter (at room temp)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs (at room temp)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup of milk (at room temp)
For the scarecrow cupcakes frosting you’ll need the following:
- 1 cup of unsalted butter (softened)
- 4 cups powder sugar
- 4 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- Shredded wheat
- Wafer Cookies
- 1 bag of candy corn candies
To make the royal icing you’ll need:
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup of powder sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- black food coloring (gel works best)
Let’s get to making the butter cake cupcakes:
- First preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prepare a cupcake pan with paper lines.
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder and blend well with a whisk.
- Beat in butter and white sugar using an electric mixer until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add eggs on at a time, beating after each addition and stir in vanilla.
- Gradually add half of the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir all ingredients just until just blended.
- Using a medium ice cream scoop and scoop the batter into lined cupcake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the cupcake pan for 10 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
Let’s make the frosting:
- Cream powder sugar and butter until mixture is light and creamy. If for some reason it doesn’t cream you can add a few drops of heavy whipping cream until it creams.
- Test to see if the frosting can form and hold a stiff peak by getting a spoonful of frosting and turning the spoon upside down to see if the frosting stays on the spoon or falls off. If it stays on the spoon, you’re in good shape if not, add more powder sugar 1/4 cup at a time and mix well.
- Once frosting is ready, you can place it into a pastry bag with a large tip (we used a 13-inch tip)
- Twist the open end of the pastry bag and push the frosting to the top and frost the cupcake edges inward to the center of the cupcake.
And now the royal icing:
- Combine all ingredients except food coloring in a mixing bowl mixing on medium speed for 4 minutes. If icing isn’t still enough, you’ll want to add 1/4 cup powder sugar until stiff.
- Add several drop of black gel food coloring into your bowl of icing, mix well, and spoon icing into piping bags using a #2 tip.
If you need to you can refer to the photo for an example.
- First pull apart shredded wheat into hay like pieces.
- For each cupcake, you will need 1 1/2 wafer cookie. Cut the cookies in half to make the 1 1/2 for each cupcake.
- While the frosting is still damp put the loose shredded wheat on the top for hay hair.
- Using a little bit of frosting to glue the full cookie and half cookie together. Set aside. Draw a black line using the black icing on the half part of the cookie hat.
- Place the hat (the whole cookie entirely on the frosted cupcake) covering the top half of the straw hair. Using the black royal icing make two round dots for eyes.
- Then draw 4-6 lines in a half circle to make the smile. Allow the icing to dry for about 1-2 minutes.
- Put a piece of candy corn upside down with the white point pointing down for the nose. Allow the icing to dry for about 20 minutes.
I hope you enjoy making these fun cupcakes for fall or Halloween as much as my daughters class did! If you make them, please let me know how they turn out, I always enjoy hearing from you.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Swing by @sjblahblahblog’s and check out these super cute Scarecrow #Cupcakes #recipe. #jbbb” quote=”Check out these super cute Scarecrow Cupcakes recipe.”]
Make sure you check out a few of our other fun recipes for fall and upcoming holidays.