Oh to wine and dine into the sunset every day. Very few of us have the luxury of tasting wines from the best vineyards around the world. The pricing, the distance, and the non-availability mean we get very limited access to wine. However, if you’re living in Toronto this shouldn’t be fazing you.
Not only is the Canadian climate well-suited to the growth of rich vineyards, but Toronto also hosts a local wine culture that’s mirrored only by the long stretches of vineyards in Colorado and Italy.
Now, wine is something that’s best enjoyed with a whole group, so, you might want to plan ahead and get a band of friends together to enjoy these wineries in and around Toronto. Here are our pointers to plan for the entire trip.
1. Book your vehicles
The terrain around these vineyards is green and while most of it is accessible by vehicle, for large groups it’s recommended that you take a bus. This way you don’t block out the limited parking space for the others who are visiting. Book ahead of time and they will be ready for your Toronto minibus rental, and you can get served soon and visit more areas without any problems. You might choose to forego a driver, however, since, you’ll be drinking, it’s not recommended. Keep a professional around for navigation and other needs when the time comes around.
2. The vineyards
- Pearl Morissette – The grapes here are all tended to personally give you the best selection of wine. To make sure you have the booking, make sure to write to them and book ahead, since, they don’t take walk-ins.
- Fielding Estate – Enjoy a refreshing walk through the vineyards on a sunny afternoon when you visit this place. Tour costs are low, and the platters of cheese are something you won’t stop marveling at for a long while
- Tawse Winery – Now, this is where science meets the delicate art of making wine. The Tawse Winery is highly decorated because of its technological innovations. Book ahead of time, and you’ll be given a taste of some of the best wines in Canada.
- Domaine Queylus – While the selection here is a little bit limited compared to the other wineries in this list, this winery still packs a punch since their repertoire is hand-picked and offers a great taste. Remember to book ahead though, they rarely entertain guests without booking.
- Vineland Estate Winery – Check out the cuisine and roam around on site in this beautiful winery. The tastings are numerous and there are many varieties available for you to sample and enjoy yourselves.
- Southbrook Vineyard – The best organic wine in the state, Southbrook has made its name by giving Canada the gift of aged organic wines. The lush green vineyards welcome guests through appointments and are one of the best places to visit.
3. Drive Responsibly
No matter how much your inebriated self wants to plan a long drive, it’s better to leave the driving to the professionals. So, make sure to have seats for everyone in your group. When it comes to driving, don’t distract the driver much and give them all the instructions from before so, that they don’t end up with some sort of problem later.
Also, remember that they’re paid to drive and drive only. Keep friends around to help others if someone gets sick.
Simple fact, every vineyard charges for tastings and even open vineyards have rules that are set in stone. So, if you’re planning to go through this trip, remember to look at the websites of the vineyards and get all the information possible. Tell them when to expect you and remember to always be courteous.