In case you didn’t know, rice is a worldwide consumed food due to its nutritional properties and its versatility to prepare delicious dishes: traditional Chinese rice, rice pudding, rice pancakes, and Risotto, are some of the most famous rice-based meals you can make with it.
Rice consumption has been so important throughout history that today, countless dishes around the world contain rice. A perfect example is chicken and rice.
That’s why we brought you a delicious Kabsa dish: an Arabian style Chicken and Rice that we’re sure you’ll love.
Stick around and find out what a surprise this recipe will bring!
There are many other ways to make a delicious chicken and rice. Visit https://minuterice.com/recipes/cheesy-chicken-and-rice/ and find the best recipe to make a Cheesy chicken and rice for lunch or dinner!
Chicken Rice: one of the most popular foods all over the world
All over the world, there are many dishes where chicken and rice are the protagonists. Here are some of the most exotic dishes based on these ingredients:
Famous throughout the Arabian world, this recipe originates from Yemen and has spread throughout the Arabian Peninsula, becoming the national dish of most of the countries that make up this region.
Kabsa consists of a mixture of spices, long-grain rice (usually aromatic), meat, and vegetables. There are numerous varieties of kabsa and each one is unique.
Some of the spices used are: black pepper, cloves, cardamom, saffron, cinnamon, and nutmeg; and the most important ingredient is meat, which can be chicken, goat, lamb, camel, or, sometimes, beef, as well as fish. Also, almonds, pine nuts, dates, onions, and tomatoes are usually added.
Note: we will show you how to make this amazing meal later, so read on to learn more about it.
Oyakodon is a typical Japanese dish. It consist of cooked rice at the base with small pieces of cooked chicken in onion and a beaten egg. Then, a kind of stir-fry made with a mixture of sake, soy, sugar, and dashi broth (dehydrated fish broth and seaweed) is poured.
Hainanese chicken rice
This is a meal of Chinese origin most often related to the gastronomy of Singapore or Malaysia, although it is also commonly sold in neighboring Thailand, and is present in the province of Hainan, in China itself, which is its place of origin.
The secret of this dish includes to cook the whole chicken in pork and chicken bone broth. The rice is cooked with chicken broth created specifically for this purpose, giving an oily and richly flavored rice to which pandanus leaves are sometimes added.
The food is usually served with various dipping sauces, including chili sauce and crushed ginger. A third sauce is frequently offered, and it includes oyster sauce mixed with garlic.
Arabian kabsa recipe
- A large chicken or a leg of lamb cut.
- 1 lb. of basmati-type long rice.
- 5 tbsp. of butter or olive oil.
- 2 medium onions.
- 1 tsp. of ground cumin.
- 1 tsp. of black pepper.
- 1 tsp. of ground coriander.
- 1 tsp. of ground cardamom or cardamom seeds.
- 2 cinnamon sticks.
- 4 cloves in grain.
- 1 tsp. of turmeric.
- 3 green peppers.
- 2 chili peppers, optional.
- 4 bay leaves.
- 4 tbsp. of tomato sauce.
- 4 ripe tomatoes.
- Salt to taste.
- Chopped parsley.
- Nuts for garnish.
- Wash the rice and soak it in warm water for 30 minutes.
- In a pan with butter or oil, put the chopped onions and stir over low heat until golden brown.
- Add the cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken or lamb and the green bell pepper cut into julienne strips and stir until the meat is browned.
- Add the grated ripe tomatoes and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, bay leaf, coriander, ground cumin, black pepper, and turmeric. Stir for 5 minutes.
- Add hot water and cook over medium heat until the meat is done.
- Remove the meat from the broth and place it in a bowl, add the rice so that it is submerged in the broth about a finger’s breadth. Water can be added as needed.
- Simmer over low heat after the rice starts to boil.
- Place the rice on a large platter, add the pieces of meat, and garnish with nuts, lemon slices and raisins.
- Then, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.