This post is in partnership with Universal Pictures Home Entertainment
My kids love granola bars and with the release of Despicable Me 3 Special Edition they are all about the Minions! Why not combine the two, make some Minion Granola Bars and call it an awesome family movie night, right? Well that’s what we did anyway! One can’t complain when there is good food, great company and a movie like Despicable Me 3 Special Edition where the laughs never stop.
What a way to celebrate the Despicable Me 3 Special Edition with an All-New Mini Movie, Minion Moments and more on Blu-ray and DVD now in stores as of December 5th release date we made these awesome Minions Granola Bars for our family movie night!
They are back, those characters we love so much – Gru, Lucy his wife, their three awesome daughters – Margo, Anges, and Edith, and of course those crazy yellow Minions that provide us with hours of family fun! The #1 animated comedy of the year, Despicable Me 3 Special Edition is now available on DVD and Blue-ray! Talk about the ultimate holiday gift with an All-New Mini Movie, Minion Moments, and MORE!
Granola Bar Ingredients:
- 1 cup packed dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup creamy salted peanut butter
- 1/3 C pumpkin seeds,
- 1/3 C cranberries
- 1/3 C sunflower seeds w/ flax seeds,
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
Royal Icing Ingredients:
- 2 egg whites
- 1 C powder sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Golden Yellow, black, grey and blue gel food coloring
- Prepare a 8 X 8 baking dish by lining it with parchment paper.
- Put dates in a food processor for about 1 minute or until only small bits are left.
- Toss in the oats,pumpkin seeds, cranberries, sunflower seeds and flax in a large bowl.
- On low heat cream together the honey and peanut butter in a small saucepan.
- Pour the combined honey and peanut butter into the dry mixture. Stir well.
- Add the processed dates, thoroughly mixing.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Using your hands press the mixture into the baking dish. Push the bar mixture to fill the corners and level it out throughout the dish.
- Cover with cling wrap and put it in the refrigerator for 20-25 minutes.
- Check to see the bars are hard.
- Take out of the refrigerator and cut into bars.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl mixing on medium speed for 4 minutes. (except your food coloring)
- If icing is not stiff enough add 1/4 C powder sugar.
- In the first bowl take 4 TBSP of icing adding grey gel food coloring and mixing well. In the second bowl take 6 TBSP of icing adding black gel food coloring and mixing well. In the third bowl place half of the remaining icing into a bowl adding several drops of yellow gel food color. Stir well to blend the color into the icing. In bowl #four, with the other half of the remaining icing add several drops of blue gel food coloring. Mix well to blend the color into the icing.
- Place each color of icing into a separate frosting bag with a small tip.
- Locate a picture of a Minion on Google. Print the picture in color. Tape this picture holding small images of the Minions on it to a cookie sheet.
- Once the Minion is dry, carefully peel the wax paper off of the back of each of them.
- Cut the wax paper holding the completed Minion into squares surrounding the completed decoration.
- Ensure that the Minion is dry, gently touch one of them with your finger if it allows you to push in on the icing allow it to dry more. If the Minion is dry then it will have a hard feeling not allowing you to push in on it.
- Allow to dry for 5-10 hours.
- Using a small pastry bag fill with the grey royal icing and a #2 tip. (pace a candy eye in the center of where the goggle frame leaves open. Start by outlining the goggle eye first with a thick line.
- Using a small pastry bag fill with the black royal icing and a #2 tip. Start by outlining the boots and goggle frame first first. Fill in the boots and goggle frame with the black icing. Allow this to dry for 30-60 seconds.
- Using a small pastry bag fill with the blue royal icing and a #2 tip. Start by outlining the overalls first. Fill in the overalls with the blue icing. Allow this to dry for 30- 60 seconds.
- Using a small pastry bag fill with the yellow royal icing and a #2 tip. Start by outlining the Minions top half of the body first. Fill in the top half of the Minion with the yellow icing. Remember to almost outline and fill in the arms also. Allow this to dry for 30-60 seconds.
- Tape wax paper (covering the copies of the Minion to the cookie sheet. )Follow the color and features as printed on the paper.
- Drizzle the granola bar with yellow, black, and blue icing.
- Allow icing to dry for about 5 minutes.
- Using the royal icing as glue, drop a couple of dots on the back of the Minion candy piece and place it on the center of the granola bars.
I sure hope you enjoy these yummy Minion Granola Bars as much as we did and more importantly I hope you watch Minions 3, and laugh just as hard as my girls and I did, if you have not watch Minions 3 be sure to check it out!
Own the #1 Comedy of the Year.
Bring home Despicable Me 3 Special Edition with an All-New Mini Movie, Minion Moments and more!
On Digital Nov 21, Blu-ray & DVD Dec 5
Illumination, the studio that brought you Sing, The Secret Life of Pets and the Despicable Me franchise, continues the adventures of Gru and his family in Despicable Me 3. After he is fired from the Anti-Villain League for failing to take down Balthazar Bratt, the latest evil mastermind to threaten humanity, Gru finds himself in the midst of a major identity crisis. But when a mysterious stranger shows up to inform Gru that he has a long-lost twin brother — a brother who desperately wishes to follow in his twin’s despicable footsteps — the former super-villain rediscovers just how good it feels to be bad.
The Best Buy Exclusive features a collectible, limited edition Steel book! It’ has all the great features of Despicable Me 3 Blu-ray Combo Pack, which includes the awesome all-new-mini movie, DVD and even digital copy. To learn more here.
If you have not seen the trailer teaser take a second and watch it, you’ll love it: