I made some awesome Pineapple Cupcakes & Coconut Buttercream Frosting, and they were super yummy. Needless to say, I’m excited to share this recipe with you. It’s a great recipe for the kids, especially with Easter right around the corner. I went a little food-coloring happy on these cupcakes, and there hasn’t been one kid or adult say they didn’t like them. Lol. See, it’s all about the pineapple juice and the fun colors. Check it out.
Pineapple Cupcakes & Coconut Buttercream Frosting
To make the pineapple cupcakes, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup DOLE Canned 100% Pineapple Juice
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 3 cups shredded coconut (sweetened)
- Food coloring (color depends on what color coconut you’re making)
Coconut Buttercream Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup butter (unsalted at room temperature)
- 3 ½ to 4 tablespoons coconut milk (room temperature)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Let’s make this cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare your muffin pan by lining it with cupcake papers.
- Combine cake mix, pineapple juice, eggs and coconut oil in a large bowl and mix with electric mixer, starting out on low for about 1 minute and increasing speed to medium for another minute or until blended thoroughly.
- I decided to have a little fun with my cupcakes and go with some fun colors for Easter! It will be here before we know it. I split up the batter into different bowls and made different colors of batter, and then put the batter into the cupcake liner one color at a time. (optional)
- Fill muffin cups about ¾ full and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until they are toothpick done.
- Allow cupcakes to cool for 15 minutes, then remove them from the pan and allow them to cool completely.
- Divide coconut up into baggies. One bag of coconut will be for each color you want to do.
- Drop in 2 to 3 drops of food coloring and mix by moving coconut around in the bag. If you want more color, try adding one more drop of coloring.
Coconut Buttercream Frosting
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar and butter and mix using the paddle attachment. Start on a slow speed for about 10 seconds, and then increase speed to medium-low and mix until everything is blended completely.
- Add coconut milk and mix on low until combined. Turn the mixer up to medium-high and continue mixing the frosting until it’s a lovely white color and gets a light and fluffy consistency. Can take up to 5 minutes.
- Spread icing on the cupcakes.
- Cover the top of the cupcakes in whatever color coconut you like. Be sure to put gentle pressure on the coconut either with your hand or a spoon so that it sticks to the frosting a bit.
I hope you enjoy the Pineapple Cupcakes with Colored Coconut Buttercream Frosting! If not, it’s okay—I know there are people who don’t like so much coconut. Thankfully, there are so many great things you can do with DOLE Canned 100% Pineapple Juice.
For my fellow pineapple loves here are a few more great pineapple recipes:
Slow Cooker Pineapple BBQ Meatballs