This is my daughter, Vayda’s 2nd year joining the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge. She had a great time last year, it kept her motivated to ready all summer long, and it helped her avoid the “summer slide” that summer can often bring on. Not only did it help her into the next year she started to enjoy reading more because she was in control of the books that she read and started to understand why reading is fun. Last year she discovered that reading is a vacation from reality, she gets to visit whatever book she wants. We all need an escape and a way to relax, and being in charge of the books she wanted to read helped Vayda discover her passion for reading. She made this discovery last year while taking part in the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge. Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge is an online reading program which is dedicated to helping children continue reading during the summer. They help encourage children to read throughout the summer and this summer’s theme is “Power Up & Read” and is powered by ENERGIZER®.
My youngest daughter will be joining Vayda and taking part in the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge with her older sister this year. Mattie’s heading to kindergarten next year and she’s going to need extra help from mom and big sister, but she’s so excited to be doing something with her big sister.
I used to be the one to read bedtime stories, but Vayda steps up and wants to be the one to read them. She acts the characters out and just has fun reading to me and her younger sister. I don’t know who is more excited about Mattie being part of the reading program, Mattie or Vayda, lol. Gosh, I love that my children enjoy reading and want to be part of the program, but I don’t like the fact they are getting older lol.
I can’t keep them little forever all I can do is guide them in the right direction and help them by encouraging and supporting them along the way with programs like the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge.
Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge is an online reading program which is dedicated to helping children continue reading during the summer. They help encourage children to read throughout the summer and this summer’s theme is “Power Up & Read” and is powered by ENERGIZER®.
1) How long has the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge been helping children continue reading during the summer?
Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge is has been encouraging children to continue reading during the summer for 9 years.
2) Why should my kids continue to read during the summer?
Help you children avoid the “summer slide,” which is common loss of reading skills due to not continuing to read while out of school during the summer. According to research, teacher spend four to six weeks re-teaching children materials because of the “summer slide” which can occur when children are not in school and do not continue to read during the summer months.
3) Summer reading can help children discover the power of course
Did you know that the summer is the perfect time to allow your children to choose what they want to read? According the Kids & Family Reading Report, 5th edition 91% of children 6 to 17 said they picked out what they consider their favorite book? During the summer they don’t have to read certain books because of assignments, it’s the perfect time to allow them choose and experiment with different books.
Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge started on May 4th, 2015 (don’t worry it’s NOT too late to join the fun) and will continue until September 4th, 2015. Kids can visit the Scholastic website and log their minutes online or using their mobile device as they continue to read during the summer. They’re going to be part of breaking last year’s world record for minutes read during the summer which is 304,749,861. WOW, that’s a lot of minutes, I think it’s safe to say the more children reading the better.
5) How much doesn’t it cost to enroll my child in the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge?
NOTHING! The Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge is FREE and you can sign up by visiting their website www.scholastic.com/summer.
6) 2015 brings something new and exciting for the kids
If your child was part of the challenge last year they can expect to see a few new and awesome things like –
- Kids can now play a exciting and new Innovation machine game, which is an interactive creative writing game and even enter the contest to win prizes.
- This year kids can log minutes while they are on the go to earn awesome digital rewards and badges when they reach their reading milestones.
- Ability to unlock 12 original short stores from children’s favorite authors, which are exclusive for this year challenge.
- Access to several never seen before videos from the authors.
- The authors have written a short story which all use the same opening sentence, “I glanced over my shoulder to make sure that no one had followed me into the shadowy library, then too, a deep break and opened the glowing book…”
- Who are the authors? The wonderful authors are Patrik Henry Bass, Blue Balliett, Varian Johnson, Michael Northtrop, Roland Smith, R.L. Stine, Lauren Tarshis, Tui T. Sutherland, Wendy Wan-Long Shang Gordon Korman, Jude Watson, Maggie Stiefvater and Jackson Pierce.
- Each of the stories will have a read-along audio component, which invites kids of all reading levels and ages to enjoy these fun and engaging stories.
7) Don’t worry parents there something new for you this year too, and I think you’ll love it.
Parents now get “The Daily Digest” which is filled with daily tips for parents.
This year parents also have access to FREE resources such as booklists for kids of all ages and printables.
8) Enter the Scholastic Monthly Sweepstakes for Kids
Kids can also enter the monthly sweepstakes for a chance to win awesome prizes and also earn digital rewards when they complete weekly reading challenges.
9) Weekly Sweepstakes for Parents
Parents you too can enter weekly sweepstakes to win an awesome “Power Up & Read Kit” as well as watch videos about summer reading activities to help keep you innovative this summer. If you’re wondering what the prize kit will include – Scholastic tote bag, copy of Reading Unbound by Jeffrey Wilhelm and Michael Smith, water bottle, $10 gift card to Scholastic Store Online, Scholastic books, Energizer® batteries, and more.
You can sign up for the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge here and learn more about how to keep kids reading all summer long by visiting Scholastic Resources. Be sure to learn more about the Energizer® Instant Win Game and follow Scholastic on Twitter and Like the Energizer® Bunny on Facebook.
I highly encourage you to sign your children up for the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge. It’s helped my daughter see reading in a different light because she was able to take control and read books she was interested in while helping her avoid the “summer slide” and move on to the next grade a better reader.
It is exciting to choose your own books and know you are part of breaking a world record because the only way children can break the previous world record is if they all read and are responsible for logging their minutes.
This is a sponsored post written by us for Scholastic. All opinions are our own and we LOVE and SUPPORT the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge.