This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Dunkin’ Donuts®. The opinions and text are all mine.
Spending time with your family shouldn’t be something to stress about, but the holiday season seems to bring on stress for everyone which can make things a little tense from time to time. Normally I get along with my family great, but there are those times when things don’t go as planned and something happens to turn and things get a little stressful. Which is why I’m planning on coming home after spending time with the family and relaxing with a Not So Hot Chocolate Coffee with Whipped Topping and watching a movie!
There are tons of reasons spending the holidays with family can be a bit stressful, but there are things you can do to help you make it through the day without getting involved in anything stressful.
TIPS TO HELP YOU SURVIVE THE HOLIDAYS WITH FAMILY
Here are a few tips to help you survive the holidays with your family
- Plan on a relaxing way to reward yourself when the day has come to an end – Plan to reward you! It’s always a good idea to reward yourself; it doesn’t have to be anything good just a way to relax and enjoy the end to a stressful day. One of my favorite ways to reward myself after Thanksgiving Day has come and gone, a Not So Hot Chocolate with Whipped Topping and a movie!
I seriously don’t know what I would do without Dunkin’ Donuts coffee, especially during the holiday season. Not only does waking up to the smell of it brewing help me get out of bed, my husband and I enjoy a cup of coffee together every morning before getting kids out of bed, and it helps me jumpstart my day. I love the stuff and can’t tell you how excited I was when Dunkin’ Donuts started selling their coffee at Walmart! One of my favorite drinks after the day has settled down a bit on Thanksgiving is an excellent Not So Hot Chocolate Coffee with Whipped Topping They are SOOOO easy to make!
Be sure to check out the recipe for our Not So Hot Chocolate Coffee with Whipped Topping recipe at the end of this post and head over to ibotta.com so you can save money on your next Dunkin’ Donuts Coffee purchase.
- Make a list – Make a list of things you are worried about happening and think about how you will handle each situation in a positive way.
- Be Careful what you choose to talk about – If your family is like mine everyone has their opinion about things and is not afraid to voice them. Which is a good quality conversation except when you are sitting down with family, especially for the holidays? Avoid talking about politics and other things you know your family has strong feelings about.
- Let things roll off – Don’t take things that are said so personal, if something negative is said just let it go. If needed you can step away for a few minutes and collect yourself. Just remember, it’s only one day a year, and you are around people you love. Plus, chances are, whatever was said wasn’t meant to hurt your feelings or upset you.
- Holidays can be a stressful time for others – Remember, you don’t always know what is going on in someone’s personal life, even if they are family. The holidays can take a toll on people especially if they are having money problems.
- Remember, why everyone is together – Remember, it’s the holiday season which is about being with your family. Remember you love these people regardless of their flaws.
- Lower your defenses – I know getting together with the family can be stressful, but it’s important you let your guard down. Things tend to go better if you don’t go into a situation with your defenses up.
- Bring along something to drink – I always bring along my big coffee cup filled with coffee, not only to help me stay awake but to keep my hands busy. I feel less uncomfortable in situations when I have something to do with my hands. Bringing along coffee is a win-win – I love the stuff, it helps keep me awake and gives me something to do with my hands when I feel uncomfortable.
Check out our Not So Hot Chocolate Coffee recipe, it’s super yummy.
Not So Hot Chocolate Coffee with Whipped Topping
- Brewed coffee (I used Dunkin’ Donuts Dunkin’ Dark K-Cups)
- Hot Chocolate
- Whipped Topping
To make this yummy coffee hot chocolate follow the below instructions:
- In the morning when you brew your coffee make a little extra and pour them into an ice tray and freeze. Just for fun I used my pumpkin ice tray, figured it would go well with the Thanksgiving theme.
- Prepare hot chocolate as directed on packaging.
- Make 4 -6 ounces of HOT coffee, pour 4 ounces of the coffee into a glass and pour in the hot chocolate package.
- Place ice cubes into a cup with heavy cream.
- In a separate cup (this will be the cup you drink out of) pour heavy whipping cream in the cup and pour caramel down the sides of the glass.
- Pour hot chocolate and coffee mixture into the glass with heavy whipping cream and caramel down the sides and mix.
- Add whipped topping and drizzle more caramel on top.
What are things you do to make it through the holidays with your family?