Everyone wants to become a more beautiful person, but what does that mean? What is beauty, and how does one accomplish such a thing? Is it the perfect hair, white teeth, expensive clothing, or the art of face painting that makes you beautiful? What is beauty? Maybe it’s what the media helps our youth see as beautiful all over the TV and internet. The media might say they’re beautiful, but I’m not convinced, as I don’t know them. Are they good people? Do they give their time to help others? If they see a child in need, do they stop to help or turn up their nose and continue to their hair appointment? Without knowing these things it’s hard for me to say they are a beautiful person.
Sure they might have pretty hair, a perfect figure, and not blemishes. There is so much more that defines beauty in my opinion. I wish our society would change how they view a beautiful woman, because it’s what shines from the inside out that makes you truly beautiful.
Beautiful is a powerful word, and in my opinion it takes more than a pretty face to define such a powerful word. It takes things that come from within, a kind heart, gentle soul, giving, forgiving, and so much more. I’ve known pretty women, who were rude, which in my opinion does not in any way make them a beautiful person, because beauty is more than a look.
I might not be right, and not everyone is going to agree with me, but here are things I think make you a beautiful person.
- Feel Beautiful – Feel you are beautiful, forget what the media defines as beautiful, and know you are. I know from experience, that looking in the mirror and hating who you are and what you see does nothing but bring you down. Hey, and it’s also not what people who know you see. Stop wishing your nose was smaller, or that your didn’t have a big butt, and focus on the important things. Sure, you might want to drop some weight to become HEALTHY but not to be beautiful, because beauty comes in all different shapes and sizes. That’s what makes us beautiful, is not looking like all those girls who are “perfect” according to whoever says they’re perfect.
- Tell others they look beautiful – Seriously, when you see women in the store tell her she looks beautiful today. It will not only lift her spirits, but yours as well. There is no better feeling, or action in the world than helping someone, and that involves helping him or her feel good about themselves.
- Be honest – Be an honest and truthful person. Be someone who people know they can turn to when they want an honest answer.
- Be a friend – I truly don’t have many real honest friends, but that’s because I would rather not have someone in my life if they choose to lie, cheat, or hurt people. I choose to socialize with people who are honest, supportive, and caring. You know that old saying “misery loves company” don’t be that person. Be that supportive, caring, honest friend that so many of us need.
- Be active – Do things you find mentally and physically rewarding. Who cares if everyone else goes to the gym, or walks the beach? You do what makes you happy, just getting up and doing what you love will make you not only happy, but beautiful for doing the things you like, and for being a leader.
- Take care of yourself – NO, I don’t know mea put on makeup and curl you hair every day. I mean, eat healthy, shower, and get enough sleep. Care for your body, it’s hard to feel great if you’re malnourished and running without sleep. Give yourself a massage humantouch.com has some amazing massagers.
- Be empathetic and compassionate – Showing compassion and empathy toward others helps to keep your grounded, and keep you from becoming self-absorbed.
- Admit your wrong – It’s hard to admit your wrong, but it’s something we all have to do, and it helps us remember we’re not perfect….
- Smile often – Sorry, but a smile on anyone’s face is better than a frown. However if you see someone with a frown you might stop and talk to them.
- Forgive – This is a hard one, and yes, I’m working on this. Several things have happened in my life that I have a hard time letting go. I have to remind myself that forgiving is not inviting a person back in my life, but it’s letting go of any negative feelings toward a person. I don’t have to become friends, or even associate with someone again, but I do have to forgive to keep me from becoming bitter.
- Make someone smile – Help put a smile on someone’s face.
- Be confident, strong, and brave – You are beautiful, be confident, strong, and brave. Be brave, and don’t let others define you, be strong and be yourself, and be confident doing it!
- Be open-minded – Be open to people’s differences, change, and the world around you.
- Help animals – Be someone who helps a stray cat, not drops a cat off somewhere, or leaves them to fend for themselves.
- Look at the bright side of things – There is always a bright side and a dark side; choose to see the bright side.
- Think of others – Before doing something think about how it can affect someone else.
- Don’t hurt others – Be someone who helps others feel good, not the person who hurts others to feel good.
- Learn from your mistakes – Learn from your mistakes. We all make them, don’t be hard on yourself, just learn as you go.
- Don’t complain about everything – Sure, we need to complain now and again, but don’t make it a habit.
- Love your family, your life, and be happy – Love your family, and make sure they know how you feel about them every single day. You’re blessed to have this life, make the most out of it, and for goodness sake be happy you have this life. There are so many other people out there, who need help, who wish they could have your life. Don’t feel sorry for youself, realize how lucky you are, be happy about it, and try to help others when they need a hand.
Gosh, I could go on and on, and never once mention makeup, hair, or a cookie cut figure. In my opinion, being beautiful is being a beautiful person. If you want to be beautiful on the outside, you have to be a beautiful person on the inside, and touch others’ lives in beautiful ways.
Have you seen any of the past campaigns Dove has done? If not be sure to check them out on YouTube, or search them online. They have done some amazing things to show what they think true beauty is, and to help women see they are beautiful. It’s one of the many reasons I love Dove.
I was just over at the DoveShareYourBeauty.com and I ask all you women to please visit, and please watch the videos. Not because I am being paid to ask you to visit, but because I want you to watch them, and feel what I feel when I see them. It’s empowering, because I think so many of us struggle each and every day with who we see looking back at us.
Entering the contest is up to you, but I do as that you please visit to watch the videos. It’s one of the many reasons I love Dove so much! I love what they stand for, and that they always strive to be different, true, real, and teach our youth that being beautiful isn’t about being a size 2, or having blonde hair. It’s something we all have inside of us. I’m also excited Dove and Walgreens have come together to make this change even bigger!
Dove and Walgreens are committed to building positive self-esteem and inspiring women as well as young girls to reach their full potential and see that they are beautiful, and that beauty is defined in many ways. One way they are doing this is through a popular form of sharing on social media. Selfies! Yes, we all love selfies, and everyone with a camera is taking selfies. However, the motivation behind posting your selfie is usually self-serving. Walgreen and Dove want to encourage women and young girls to use their selfies for good, and show others what #BeautyIs, means to you with any picture.
This is my #BeautyIs Selfie! I picked this photo because I can remember taking this picture, the time I had, who I was with, and looking at the ocean. I also remember how I felt, I wasn’t worried about my makeup, or hair. I was more concerned with the beauty around me, and enjoying my time with my husband, because we don’t get time alone often. It was the experience, my surroundings, and who I was with that made this day perfect. That’s why I picked this selfie, I will always remember that day when I look at this photo.
What is your natural beauty source?